dadinjo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Hello everyone, I need some quick help. I've got an HP 8200 SFF for some years now and bought a low profile GPU (Inno3D GT740). Now, the trouble is following: it seems I mismeasured the GPU and space in case, so my GPU's I/O shield/bracket can't make it all the way through the outputs (there's a tin (aluminium maybe?) that's virtually the frame of the case itself). More so, that same I/O shield is too tall for the case itself... Since I don't intend on selling the graphics card and can't afford a new one, my thought is to cut out that piece of tin frame (close to 2cm) so that the outputs could fit properly and I can put the card into PCIe slot.

My questions are following:

1. Besides the obvious aesthetic damage made because of cutting, will there be any errors functionality wise? If a gap in the frame is only a matter of looks, I can live with it.
  2. What equipment should I use? I was thinking of basic tin/metal snips because it's really thin piece of metal, and honestly I'm not position to buy any new/used tools.
  3. Since the card would be practically exceeding the PC's height (or width or whatever that one dimensions is called), it means that I won't be able to fully close the case plate, it would essentially be leaning onto the I/O lid that sticks out, resulting in a bit of open space. The PC is situated inside my desk (in between two shelves and very close to the wall, in case you need to know that). I take my PC out and clean it every 2-3 months anyways, so would that bit open case lid make some trouble?

Thanks to everyone in advance.

dadinjo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Can you take pictures, you can use imgure.com to post them in the forums. If you have a low profile card it should fit in the case without issues.

Me being an idiot, I forgot to take pics when the PC was opened, I plugged it back so I could write this thread. I guess I'll post pics tomorrow when I plug out and open the PC again.
The problem is not the body of the card, but the output panel (DVI, HDMI and VGA) and its lid which is simply both too tall and too wide (for the case frame) and hence can't reach the back of the PC, resulting in inability to be plugged into the PCIe slot. I was thinking of removing the lid and VGA output, but it is risky and complicated + my monitor only has VGA port...

Me being an idiot, I forgot to take pics when the PC was opened, I plugged it back so I could write this thread. I guess I'll post pics tomorrow when I plug out and open the PC again.
The problem is not the body of the card, but the output panel (DVI, HDMI and VGA) and its lid which is simply both too tall and too wide (for the case frame) and hence can't reach the back of the PC, resulting in inability to be plugged into the PCIe slot. I was thinking of removing the lid and VGA output, but it is risky and complicated + my monitor only has VGA port...
the lid can be removed

you need to loosen the screws and possibly the nuts too

it should not be too hard

dadinjo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
the lid can be removed

you need to loosen the screws and possibly the nuts too

it should not be too hard

I considered it, but then the VGA port would be hanging loosely, and that's the one I need in order to connect the GPU to my monitor... Plus, is it even possible to screw in the VGA port on the cable if there would be no lid on the GPU?

To cut the slots on the case i would be careful with tin snips as it will leave a sharp edge. The best way would be a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel or a grinding stone, or use a file. Both of these methods would require removing the computer from the case so you dont get metal filings on the motherboard

dadinjo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
I googled this dremel tool and it costs like 40-50 euros... I live in a country where I simply can't afford to buy this only for this one purpose, not even used. I'm not even a craftsman, so it'd be laying in the toolbox for nothing... Thank you for recommendation, but I think I'll have to stick to the snips (I'll put a towel/cloth over the PC's internals to prevent any metal remnants falling into it).

If you have a simple hand file you can use that as well, a dremel just makes it quicker. but like i said even with a file you will get metal powder from the file so would be better to remove the motherboard from the case all together.

another option if you're not caring about the case to to clip the vertical bar completely out between where the card slots in and the next one. this will give you plenty of room and you wont have to worry about trying to cut off just a little bit.

dadinjo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
If you have a simple hand file you can use that as well, a dremel just makes it quicker. but like i said even with a file you will get metal powder from the file so would be better to remove the motherboard from the case all together.

another option if you're not caring about the case to to clip the vertical bar completely out between where the card slots in and the next one. this will give you plenty of room and you wont have to worry about trying to cut off just a little bit.

that's what I thought, to remove that piece of metal bar from the slot where I'd put the gpu (around 2cm). I'm not a PC expert and honestly
a bit scared and insecure of removing the motherboard, so I figured to put a cloth or nylon over interior to cover it from metal scraps and dust, do you think it will get the job done?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Ok. FIRST, take all the components out of the case. One small bit of that metal, or some of the shavings build up around a trace and all will be for naught.

You may find there is an easier or better way to remove or modify that backplane once you have it apart as well.

If nothing else you may find that using a drill and small bit to go around the piece to create a connect the dot tear out.

dadinjo

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Thanks for the replies folks, but damn, that just seems like too hard. Possible butchering of my computer makes me rethink selling this cars...
Is it possible to disconnect the VGA (since it's the one that cause trouble) and then use HDMI to VGA adapter? Maybe that'd be much easier?

TRENDING THREADS