CX500W with 770?

Krisuuu

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Hi Tom's!

I have thought of buying the Asus 770 graphics card.
I was wondering if my power supply powerful enough?
2500K (not oc'd), 770, CX500W?

I asked this in another forum, most of them said CX500W will go better than good with 770.

I'd just like to ensure, and ask you.

Thanks for the answers! :)
Oh, and sorry about my English.

Yes, for a while. The non-modular CX-500 uses some inferior Samxon capacitors that do not like heat and are known for early failure. Make sure your PSU gets good airflow. If it gets its own air from beneath your case, that's good. If it is top-mounted and gets air from within the case, make sure you have a mix of intake and exhaust fans, so the PSU isn't struggling to pull air through itself.

Hi - You might be cutting it too close with that PSU. A system with a gtx770 is recommended to have 42amps on the +12v rails(+12v rails is where the CPU & GPU draw their current from), but you'd be OK with 38amps.

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

If that CX500 is a new model it has 38 +12v amps, the minimum you should have.

If it is an older model CX500 it will have only 34 +12v amps, not enough for a system with a gtx770.

Personally, I'd use the CX500 now, but save up for another PSU.

For a system using a single NVIDIA Reference Design GeForce GTX 770 graphics card a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 34 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors is recommended for your system configuration.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Corsair CX Series CX500 (SKU# 75-001667 / CP-9020047) power supply unit, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 770 graphics card.

What Samxon capacitors? The old discontinued CX models used Samxons.

The current CX Series 80 PLUS Bronze certified models use a Japanese Matsushita/Panasonic 85°C rated capacitor on the primary and Taiwanese CapXon 105°C rated capacitors on the secondary.

The modular ones, yes; afaik the non-modular ones use Samxon.
Start here http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/not-so-tough/8805?threadid=8805?goto=newpost at post #9:
"
There's a thread on the badcaps.net forums (here - http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22680 ) with some internal shots of the CX-600, which shows that they are definitely Samxon GF series. On post #6, one of the moderators says he's seen CX PSUs with bad caps already. As a decent, lower powered PSU, I think that the XFX Core edition 450W is a better option. I trust seasonic more than CWT, and it has all Chemi-con caps.

I think the main reason that these PSUs get good reviews is because they work great on day 1, and few reviewers have experience dealing with 2 and 3 yr old gear, so they don't realise what will happen when the PSU gets to that age. "

The Hardware Secrets link is from a forum post back in 2012. That definitely refers to the old discontinued model that definitely had Samxon 85°C cap on the primary.

Here's a link to a teardown of the current 80 PLUS Bronze Certified CX430 (i.e. non-modular model):

http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=es&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.es&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/netzteile/2013/test-corsair-builder-series-cx430/4

The 80 PLUS Bronze Certified non-modular and modular models all use the same Japanese Matsushita/Panasonic 85°C rated capacitor on the primary and Taiwanese 105°C rated capacitors on the secondary.

The modular models are not better in quality at all.

I wish one of those better review sites would do a review but Corsair doesn't seem to send their entry level models out for reviews.

Those reviewers would have to buy it themselves.

D

Deleted member 217926

Things don't look too good for the new RM series they are replacing the TX line with. The 750w Chicony made model failed HardOCP testing. The 650w CWT made unit did a little better in testing by jonnyguru with an 8.7/10 but still had some issues including substandard caps.

Now I see they have a CS series coming out. Maybe to replace the CX with 80 Plus gold? And they are using Great Wall as an OEM for those. That could certainly be hit or miss. Also is it just me or is Corsair getting close to Coolermaster as far as sheer number of OEMs? It sure was easier keeping track when it was just Seasonic and CWT.