[SOLVED] cx650m vs evga 650BQ for 2060 super i7 9700f

Feb 3, 2022
I'm looking to upgrade my pc and am looking at buying either the cx650m or evga 650BQ. I was wondering if any of them have otp and other good protections. Scan uk says that the 650bq has otp whereas other websites say it doesn't.
My build is going to consist of these parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/wnbrn/builds/#view=VZk6Mp

Pc part picker estimated my wattage to be about 356, a youtuber said a good rule of thumb is to times the estimation by 1.5 .this resulted in 534w for me. I would like the extra headroom from 650w however I'm not sure if a 550w would be good. I do currently have the 500 bq but people have stated its not good; this is why I a am looking at 650w as although it will be the same quality the extra headroom will mean the psu wont be near its max wattage.

Im looking for experience do people who have owned these psus for info on which is the better psu. Both psus are currently £45 which is around how much I want to spend.

Any info and help is appreciated.

Solution
Wel personally would i look at a store, but the TXM is much better so if the same price get the TXM. Think at ebay you at least have some buyer protection. \
For parts used is 550watt more than enough.
The RMx is even better than the TXM and imo worth the money in the link i gave, but cannot look into your wallet so do at least pick the TXM.

Yeah i have those parts already, i’m upgrading a prebuilt my dad gave me.
That is fine, the i7 9700f is still a very good cpu and other parts are good too. Maybe/really could use an ssd, but that is up to you.

4745454b

Titan
Here is our review of the CX650m. Starting with the protection page.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx650m-psu,4770-6.html

From the final page,

The CX650M features killer performance per dollar thanks to its affordable price and good overall performance. It is based on a solid CWT platform that employs a synchronous design on the secondary side, along with a couple of DC-DC converters. We typically don't see any of that in 80 PLUS Bronze power supplies...The CX650M's good performance and high tolerance to increased operating temperatures are attributes you don't often find in this price range...Load regulation and ripple suppression on the CX650M are impressive, while its efficiency levels put other Bronze-rated units to shame...Taking all of that into account, if you don't want to invest a lot of money into your next PSU and you believe that 650W of max power is enough to cover your needs, the CX650M should be on top of your buying list.

The CX650m is a good unit. Though older now. I'm not sure what you are paying for it, as mentioned above you might want to consider other units as they might offer better price/performance. But as far as a choice between those two units I'd pick the CXm every time.

Feb 3, 2022
Here is our review of the CX650m. Starting with the protection page.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx650m-psu,4770-6.html

From the final page,

The CX650m is a good unit. Though older now. I'm not sure what you are paying for it, as mentioned above you might want to consider other units as they might offer better price/performance. But as far as a choice between those two units I'd pick the CXm every time.
You already have that build or is it what you're looking at? If you still are going to buy are there so much better options right now for cpu for instance. That means other motherboard as well of course.

For a good psu get this if you already have that build,
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020177-na
yes more money, but fully worth it.

How similar is the rm550x to the tm550x?

I’m unsure if it’s better for me to get a more reliable psu like the tm550x or one with more wattage so the cm650x. Both are £45 at the moment.

Ps. the cx650m is factory refurbished from scan uk and the tx550m is supposedly new on ebay.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Wel personally would i look at a store, but the TXM is much better so if the same price get the TXM. Think at ebay you at least have some buyer protection. \
For parts used is 550watt more than enough.
The RMx is even better than the TXM and imo worth the money in the link i gave, but cannot look into your wallet so do at least pick the TXM.

That is fine, the i7 9700f is still a very good cpu and other parts are good too. Maybe/really could use an ssd, but that is up to you.

Solution