Question CX750M PSU

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I currently built a PC and here are my specs.

RTX 2070 Super
Ryzen 2700x
CX750m psu
16 gb ram @ 3200mhz
2 tb hdd
500 gb ssd

I've been reading that my cx750 psu isnt the greatest power supply but isnt the worst either. Kind of a mid tier psu. I've heard of people having issues with them and than some people say they have had them for a long time and their great. Should I be worried in the long run with this psu and would it be recommended to upgrade?
The only thing I've noticed so far is that it's a little louder on heavy load but not terrible.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
its a newer model unit, much superior to the green units. it is considered a decent budget friendly unit, one of my go to suggestions in fact.
if the noise is a deal-breaker I would go for it now while you can return it.
otherwise it should do the job.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
You don't need to immediately replace it, but yes you might want to look into upgrading it sooner rather than later, especially with a high-end system like yours. I'd use it for around 3 years before worrying too much about it.

Ok I see. So it's not hurting any of my parts such as my gpu/cpu by having a mid tier psu in my system than right? Also, I'm new to building PCs so how difficult would it be to switch PSUs to a better one? Would I have to literally re wire everything or could I just unplug all the wires that are on my current psu and just plug into the other psu?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
should be fine, corsair will stand behind it for the next 5 years.

the PSU change, depending on how intricate your wiring is, is pretty dead simple.
open the case, remove the 4 screws securing the PSU into the case, then disconnect each power cable . the 24 pin atx, the aux CPU, the PCIe power (if applicable), drives power cables. the power cables can only be inserted one way. installation is the reverse
drives cables, power and aux cables to the motherboard and the power cable to the GPU, secure with the 4 screws, turn on the system. when all is well close the case.

it would take me 2 minutes to do this on almost any computer.

always make sure you are properly grounded before working inside any computer.

Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

I do not suggest using the modular cables you have now with any other model unit. the CX cables will work on a CX.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
should be fine, corsair will stand behind it for the next 5 years.

the PSU change, depending on how intricate your wiring is, is pretty dead simple.
open the case, remove the 4 screws securing the PSU into the case, then disconnect each power cable . the 24 pin atx, the aux CPU, the PCIe power (if applicable), drives power cables. the power cables can only be inserted one way. installation is the reverse
drives cables, power and aux cables to the motherboard and the power cable to the GPU, secure with the 4 screws, turn on the system. when all is well close the case.

it would take me 2 minutes to do this on almost any computer.

always make sure you are properly grounded before working inside any computer.

Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

I do not suggest using the modular cables you have now with any other model unit. the CX cables will work on a CX.

Ok thank you. Last question. Which psu would you recommend for my system that would be an upgrade from.what I have now but use the same cx cables?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
another corsair unit.
https://www.newegg.com/red-corsair-0-ft-hardware-connectivity-kit/p/0B1-00R0-00002
these cables will work with a wide variety of units including the CXM, so getting an AX, RM, TXM, or HX PSU that use these cables should use your current cables.
depending on the budget the TXM or the RM series.
the CSM is below the CX
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Jf...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020131-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6Y...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020195-na

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Ok, so if I went just the RM route like the rm750 that you suggested I should just be able to use the cords I have now? And does it matter that my psu right now is only semi modular and the RM I'm looking at is fully modular?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
semi modular means the ATX 24-pin+AUX is connected all the time. in fully modular units those cables disconnect like the rest. you will need to use that cable that came with the new unit, that is all.
the drive power, PCIe power, and other cables should be the same.