News Cyan's New Steampunk Game Needs 32GB RAM for Max Graphics and VR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I still remember getting a work PC with 512 MB and wondering what it could even use so much RAM for. It was a 2.53 GHz Northwood Pentium 4 (single-threaded).
Hah - I still have that CPU in an old offline retro gaming rig running 256MB Samsung RAMBUS memory (2x 128MB PC800)! Built circa 2002 and still working. Never could overclock that gaming rig well which is probably why it's still kicking.

Reactions: bit_user

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just bought 32GB of ram for my HTPC. More of a not having to deal with it later kind of thing. With only two memory slots, don't want to have to toss out a 2x8GB kit later on. 3200 CL16, $70, and I didn't go for the cheapest which was about $53. I would say if you have a DDR4 system you plan to keep for a while with 16GB the time to upgrade to 32GB is now.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Hah - I still have that CPU in an old offline retro gaming rig running 256MB Samsung RAMBUS memory (2x 128MB PC800)! Built circa 2002 and still working. Never could overclock that gaming rig well which is probably why it's still kicking.
I think mine might've had a 533 MHz FSB. I don't think it had Rambus, but we had a dual-Xeon workstation that did.

My desktop had an ATI 9700 Pro, which is the only graphics card that ever died on me. A year in, I had to do a cross-ship RMA because its fan died. I didn't even use it heavily (no gaming).

Reactions: 10tacle

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would say if you have a DDR4 system you plan to keep for a while with 16GB the time to upgrade to 32GB is now.
I just jumped on a pair of dual-rank 16 GB DDR4-3200 ECC UDIMMs, when I noticed there was only one model still available. After that disappears, I'd have had to go to 2x 32 GB to get dual-rank.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Writing code has nothing to do with going to a University. It is an art form not a science. You do have to understand the electronics to a certain point in order to optimize your code properly but you don’t have to have a degree to do so.

I’ve known people with English majors who are excellent programmers, and I’ve known people with CIS degrees who can’t code their way out of a wet paper sack. Don’t get hung up on University names. Education is like making soup. You only get out of it what you put into it and I don’t care where you go

you could go to the best University, and if you don’t put forth the effort, your education won’t be worth spit in other words

Universities are there so that you dont have to re invent the wheel again and again. Where I studied , the homeworks I had to solve to be allowed to enter the final exam was so hard and huge that it made me drop other courses to finish it. not all universities are alike. best universities will not allow you to graduate without real knowledge. as I said ! entering the final Exam where I studied needed TONS of very very hard homework to be solved..

Last edited: