[SOLVED] CyberPower 425VA alarm going off - is my PSU fluctuating?

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Hi,

I have an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ Gold 750W PSU in my PC and--back when I built in in 2017--people on this forum vetted that as a good option for my build. I also have (had) my PC plugged into a CyberPower 425VA surge protector.

I've recently started doing some work in VR and while I was loading a VR application the other day (linked to my PC), suddenly the CyberPower alarm started going off...this was very strange to me and as I was examining it, the whole PC shut down (a safety feature, I'm guessing? The PC was plugged into the battery for the surge protector, so it continued to run for a while after the alarm started). A few days later, same VR application, same result.

Well, I unplugged the PC from the CyberPower, plugged it into the wall (same socket as the CyberPower is connected to) and ran the application, and there was no issue. I thought this solved the issue.

Then, today, I plugged my ipad into the socket where my PC had been plugged in the CyberPower (my PC still being plugged into the wall) and, within moments, the PC just shut down...!? I have no idea why that could have happened, and that sort of thing has never happened to me before....my only thought was, maybe the iPad drew too much from the CyberPower, which in turn overloaded the circut that the PC was connected to (since both PC and CyberPower are plugged into the same dual socket wall plug)...but that seems insane as I don't imagine an iPad takes much power!

My other concern is, maybe my PSU is going??

Anyway, I am not learned on these things, so any direction you might have for me will be gratefully received! Thanks, and let me know what other info you might need.

Solution
425Va is only ratted for 255 watts. Not knowing what your computer parts are you are more then likely sitting right on the edge of what that cyberpower unit can handle. The alarm going off means that it has switched over to battery power and and the full 255W only lasts 2min, less the more power you draw.
425Va is only ratted for 255 watts. Not knowing what your computer parts are you are more then likely sitting right on the edge of what that cyberpower unit can handle. The alarm going off means that it has switched over to battery power and and the full 255W only lasts 2min, less the more power you draw.

Solution

PatrickPowers

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2015
Ok, thank you. So you're saying new surge protector vs. new PSU--probably...?
Would this also make sense as to why the PC shut down today immediately after I plugged my ipad into the CyberPower, even though the PC was plugged into the wall?

If you dont trust yourself to look a the outlet i would hire an electrician to com in and look at it.

Try moving the computer to another outlet and see if it still happens.

The UPS/ surge protector beeping means the unit has lost power and is running off battery, you need to figure out why the outlet is loosing power. Plugging something else into the outlet and immediately having the computer shut down means the battery unit is not working and the outlet is having a issue.