Question Cyberpower computer crashing.

Jan 27, 2023
Bought a Cyberpower computer from Best Buy about a year ago yesterday. Had problems in October with it crashing, fan speeds up and screen goes to black. Best Buy said, "Send it back." But that'll take 2 months. I changed the settings in the Windows 11 power settings and though the problem was fixed. After another Windows update, it's even worse now. Anyone know what's causing it? I've read dozens of reports. Some say power supply (it's new for God sake), others software settings, others video card. Help?

What CPU??

If the CPU has integrated video, you could disable your video card and see if the problem persists.

Do you have access to any spare parts, particularly another power supply?

What power settings did you alter in Windows that seemed to fix the problem?

What brand and model GPU?

Jan 27, 2023
AMD Ryzen 7. Cheaper Nvidia Video card. Computer goes to black, fan revs at max speed, won't shut off unless you unplug it. Started in September through October. I went from "balanced" to "best performance" on power supply settings and stopped using sleep. Problem went away for about 2 months. Suddenly, I got an "upgrade Windows 11" notification, and figured I should probably do it after 3 months of not doing it, and the problem is back. It's a "Cyberpower computer $1,200 at Best Buy. My CPU is not heating up. I don't play games on the computer either.

Jan 27, 2023
I'm just looking for a basic understanding of what's going on. I've read MANY threads on this, so I know it's a known problem, but has anyone figured out what's going on? My problem started when I downloaded an "upgrade" for Windows 11. But I don't know if I'm screwed, how to fix it, or what people have discovered. How you can explain it? Is it hardware or software? Is it the PSU? Or is it the graphics card?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm just looking for a basic understanding of what's going on. I've read MANY threads on this, so I know it's a known problem, but has anyone figured out what's going on? My problem started when I downloaded an "upgrade" for Windows 11. But I don't know if I'm screwed, how to fix it, or what people have discovered. How you can explain it? Is it hardware or software? Is it the PSU? Or is it the graphics card?
It could be anything, but likely hardware.
CyberPower (and others) are known to go cheap on parts that most people don't notice.

"600W power supply!!!"
(of a make and model I wouldn't use as a boat anchor)

"Liquid cooler!"
(a crappy 120mm, that is likely worse than many air coolers. But it sure sounds impressive)

Jan 27, 2023
Would a new power supply solve this problem of my computer's fan speeding up and the computer just going to black screen? Seems to happen so intermittently not sure why this would be happening. I'm not putting any stress on the CPU or playing games. Would seem the power supply wouldn't have any problem when I'm just writing emails and watching videos.

USAFRet

Titan
Would a new power supply solve this problem of my computer's fan speeding up and the computer just going to black screen? Seems to happen so intermittently not sure why this would be happening. I'm not putting any stress on the CPU or playing games. Would seem the power supply wouldn't have any problem when I'm just writing emails and watching videos.
Unknown, since we do not have a full accounting of all the parts in this system.