Question Cyberpower PC black screen. Audio still plays and GPU fans ramp up to max speed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashramex

Prominent
May 29, 2022
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...b-hdd-500gb-ssd-black/6481354.p?skuId=6481354

Gigabyte B560 DS3H Motherboard with BIOS: F6
Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3060 TI GPU
Monitor: Odyssey G7 32in using Displayport

All other info is in the specfications in the link as not sure which other parts I need to list.

I purchased this computer back in January. The first real problem I had with the computer was overheating and shutting down games. The computer came with all fans set to exhaust and a crappy stock cooler for the CPU. I fixed the fans and bought a Noctua NH-D15 for the CPU for 90 dollars. That reduced the average temps when gaming from pushing 90 degrees to around 60-70 and Idling around 50-60 down to 35-40.

The second problem that started occurring slowly but then more rapidly overtime, was my monitor would go black and the gpu fans would ramp up to an insane speed but audio could still be heard. I tested 4 different monitors to see if this was the issue trying both hdmi inputs and Displayport inputs. The error kept occurring. After reading about 100 posts and seeing most people have zero success following all the tests uninstalling/reinstalling all drives with the DDU software, I deduced it has to be a faulty GPU. To confirm my suspicions I took it to a local IT repair store and they said it seemed to be a faulty GPU. They also formatted the solid state hard drive and installed windows 10 instead of 11 back on the computer.

I contacted cyberpower and they said send back the GPU no questions really asked which I thought was suspicious. I installed the replacement GPU and Immediately upon startup green spots were all over the screen. I went into the bios and the green lines were all over the screen. The computer Detected the video card but would not accept drivers and the old basic windows screen in crappy resolution and large icons would be the display on every boot. Again I contacted cyberpower about the gpu. One of the representatives actually admitted they had been having some issues with defected cards from a batch. So again I sent the GPU back and they sent out a replacement.

The latest GPU booted up fine, installed drivers and I thought everything was perfect finally. Then two days later yet again the same issue arises. Screen randomly goes black, fans boost to max speed but Audio still plays fine in the background. The only thing I can think of maybe is that perhaps the power supply is either bad or not a high enough wattage for this computer. To actually get to the power supply in this prebuilt monster is almost impossible without ripping the whole thing apart. So I am not really sure what power supply is in it. I'm trying my best not to void the warranty (even though I replaced the fan/heatsink, I kept the old one just in case). I do not know if anyone has been able to figure out a solution to this problem. It may not be a power supply issue or I'm just missing something critical that just keeps causing this error.

I'm not the most knowledgeable about running/updating bios or software that may detect the cause of this issue. I have done no overclocking or would not even know how to. This has been extremely frustrating and if anyone can help I will follow any suggestions or link any reports I can. I really do not want to return the whole thing and I do not want to have a 1500 dollar paper weight sitting around but maybe I will not have any other option. Thank you so much for any input or help. I will reply as rapidly as I can if anyone replies to this.

Ashramex

Prominent
May 29, 2022
So then a bad power supply could cause the issue I’m having? The screen comes back after a reboot but could be a few hours or a day before it happens again. Also why would the bad psu cause the fans to go berserk?

Ashramex

Prominent
May 29, 2022
So I opened up the computer and got to the power supply. It’s an apevia 600 psu non modular. I was able to manufacture though a controlled test that causes this issue to consistently occur. When I fiddle with the pci-e cord going into the gpu just barely the screen will go black and fans go Max speed. Still playing audio. Though just booting the computer up and just watching YouTube videos it will randomly do the same thing with no touching of the actual Computer. It does seem to be happening increasingly over quicker time periods. I’m not even bothering with games atm. Could it possibly be a bad pci-e cord in a crappy psu or would that signify that again I have a faulty gpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.