CyberPower PC - Gamer Ultra Desktop, better upgrade: RAM, CPU, or MB???

Nov 3, 2018
A close friend recently purchased an "off the shelf" pc for her son and now it won't play his games. What is the better upgrade for this system, RAM, CPU, or a new motherboard?

CyberPower PC - Gamer Ultra Desktop - AMD Ryzen 5 1400 - 8 GB Memory, AMD Radeon RX 580 - 1 TB HD.

I am unfamiliar with this system or its benchmarks, just looking to see which upgrade would work best.

Nov 3, 2018

Unfortunately, she just messaged me about this this morning. He is at work and she doesn't know. With some research I was able to determine that the motherboard is an Asus Prime B350M-A.

It was off the shelf from Best Buy so it probably has 8GB generic RAM.
The CPU is an AMD Ryzen 5 1400 gaming processor.
AMD Radeon RX 580 graphics card.

USAFRet

Titan

RX-580.....4GB or 8GB?

What do you refer to by "won't play his games" ?
Doesn't play at all, or doesn't give the desired FPS at the chosen resolution and options?

A young teen trying to play a AAA game with all the options turned up to full, and not seeing 200FPS might say "This thing SUX! It doesn't work AT ALL!"

Identify the problem before applying a solution.

Nov 3, 2018

That's a big part of the problem, I'm not there in front of the machine to know, and she wouldn't know either. I been doing some research and found a model number for the unit, Model:GUA2600BST. The RX 580 is the 4GB model.

USAFRet

Titan

Probably this one:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-1400-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-1tb-hard-drive-black/5833100.p?skuId=5833100

Specs are averagely "OK".
You'd need to find the actual problem (if there is one), before doing anything. Especially before buying new parts for it.

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
USAFRet is right as usual. I gave my nephew a pc of mine and he just butchers the settings. Only thing that pc may have trouble with is games that use more than 8gb of ram. Or if he's running a monitor over 1080p. Maybe a game like star citizen or something that's beta and not yet optimized. (Star citizen sucks on any pc).

joe.blobers

Prominent
Aug 12, 2017

Just to say that new patch 3.3 under heavy testing in PTU (test servers) before release to PU is offering between 70 to 100 fps on average which is a gigantic jump versus the 20 to 40 we got till now. Alpha status means ongoing development with bugs fix and performance improvement every week/month.
My 5 years old Rig (gtx780 + 4 cores I5) provide a good 70 fps on average.