CyberPower Reliability

mrstump

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Hi guys, I was thinking about buying a CyberPower Black Pearl around $5000 for mostly gaming purposes,I was just wondering about how reliable they are as I live in Australia and if that would cause any difficulties. I've read some of the other threads but they seem to be a bit dated coming from 4-5 years ago. If anyone could provide advice about how reliable they are and if there are any better alternatives.

Thanks.

Dont spend 5k on any system, if you spend 2k on a good system now and 2k on another system in 2 years you will spend less and have a better system in the end. Over 2k for a prebuilt is very bad as the price increase is massive for tiny increases in performance. I would also suggest building it yourself rather than getting one from cyberpower.

lucas1024

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
I agree on the price advice, no computer is worth 5k these days.
I think it is hard to build a config yourself that can beat CyberPower on price/quality. But as far as I know, they don't ship outside the US - I could be wrong.

claudecat

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
I can't imagine spending over 2k for a pc or even a mac these days. I understand you gamers and your multiple gpus, but aren't they all pretty much obsolete within a year or 2? Even I would take the time to build it myself at any price above maybe 1.5k... Just my 2 cents (I'm new in here, but have been using and abusing computers since 1989). Learn, build, game, eat. Maybe even get yer gal pal something nice.

hthero715

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
A friend of mine has ordered from CyberPower and doesn't seem to have any major complaints. However, I built a better performing PC for the same amount of money that he spent. Even if it its your first time building, give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man how to fish and you feed him for life.

And yeah, $5,000 for a computer, no matter what kind of voodoo magic they put on it, is way overpriced.

Adamm07x

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
if 5k is the budget you have throw the money into multiple monitor setup with nice cf/sli dual GPU's and cooling.

I agree 5k is overpriced for a PC;

what i'd recomend doing is my one step from top method.
Figure out your best hardware, and get the previuos leading card//cpu//etc.

a i7 950 can be easily overclocked. to the stock speeds of your processor for enough savings to buy yourself a free
Logitec g15 keyboard.

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I was lazy on my last build and bought one off Cyberpower. I had it in less than a week and booted perfectly first time. I could have put the same system together for a bit less, but there is something to be said for a warranty and support in case something goes wrong.
I didn't pay extra for the "professional cabling" where they tie-wrap your wiring perfectly to keep all ribbons and cables free of components and not negatively impact airflow. When my PC arrived, they had done it anyways.
The only negative was my 12 in 1 card reader, though installed, was never set up. No biggie since I never tried to use it, but it is a mistake on their part.

imabug

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004
I've been pretty happy with the CyberPowerPC system I purchased close to a year ago. Only had a few pretty minor problems. Front audio panel wasn't correctly plugged into the MB header, card reader runs at USB 1.0 speeds for some reason, and one of the fans started becoming noisy (simple replacement).

I'm inclined to agree with the others about the price. $2k can get you a pretty sweet system. Going much more above that probably isn't going to get you much more for the additional money if gaming is going to be the primary function.

Email contact with tech support sometimes takes a few days to get a response.

Jafisob

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Read cyberpower's own customer feedback forums and decide for yourself.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=42

$4000+ worth of junk
I thought this was gonna be fun
A+++!
Lil' humor 4pissed off customers!
Banging My Head - Horrible Experience
EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED -- CUSTOMER SERVICE
Very unhappy customer - pathetic Customer
5 times to repair, still not repaired
My cyberpowerpc experience
CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS
Cyberpower PC #2
Yeah.....

7 out of 12 overtly negative
1 out of 12 overtly positive

2nd page
Not a happy camper right now.
Wrong Product Received
My Ridiculously Horrendous Customer Experience
Why did I spend $1400 for a pc that doesn't run?

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

And just like every other company/review it takes outstanding over and above service to warrant a positive review on a feedback section of a website. A slight negative experience fair or unfair will drive a customer to post negative reviews out of revenge.

Jafisob

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

One quick example refuting your point: http://reviews.dell.com/2341/inspiron-560/dell-inspiron-560-reviews/reviews.htm
Out of the first 20 reviews I see one 1 star review. Here is the text of the one star review: "Bought a new computer, unpacked it and Hard Disc wasn't working. Contacted tech support who were extremely helpful and arranged a new hard drive to be installed next day. Only took the engineers 10 days to arrive to fit the drive. Would recommend Dell but not WorldWide Tech Services who can't organise a you know what in a brewery."

Please contrast this with the Cyberpower forum feedback such as My Ridiculously Horrendous Customer Experience , 5 times to repair, still not repaired, Banging My Head - Horrible Experience, and EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED -- CUSTOMER SERVICE

Gamers with working PCs don't take the time to complain for revenge. They are too busy gaming. :D

galeener

Distinguished
Yes but most people who buy a custom system not a cookie cutter system usually don't write a positive reveiw .
I have 2 of their systems 1 for my son and 1 for my wife never had hardly an issue but I never went to their forums and said good job. Thats because I expected them to do a good job.
If They had issues you bet I would have complained, just like most people.
I also own a Dell laptop and I never went there and wrote a positive reveiw either because I expected the laptop to be fine.
If it wasn't i would have complained.
1 of my cyberpower systems was built when the 680i mother boards were brand spanking new and is still running fine today.

lucas1024

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010

Totally agree! I am another happy CP customer (and I did post a positive review once :wahoo: ). I've bought 4 machines from them over the years and they are still running fine. I also built one myself and that was fun too. When I shopped with them their prices were comparable to homebuilt. I don't have time to homebuild 'cause I am too busy gaming on my CP pc :)

Hard_Rain

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
In February I ordered a CP system with the non-rush 5% discount. The computer arrived (in the Midwest) before the estimated shipping date! I unpacked the system and all the wiring was done nicely and all components were as expected based on my order. After checking all the connections, I booted the system up, only to have it die in ten minutes. Could not reboot computer; it would not post and the CPU, video, and memory error lights lit up on the Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard. Checking New Egg, I found a few other reviewers that had this same problem with this particular motherboard. Called CP and they sent me an RMA shipping label that same day. They paid for shipping and replaced the motherboard. Nobody likes to have a DOA motherboard, but hey, I cannot complain about CP service. I do, however, recommend thoroughly checking a new CP system when it arrives and, afterwards, running some burn-in software.

D

Deleted member 362816

They ship outside of the us but for warrenty work you have to send the whole computer back and pay for shipping there and back because your not in the usa this will cost you way to much.

D

Deleted member 362816

The asus x58 mobos are known to crap out after a few hours but they seem to have fixed that issue lol. Cyberpower usally takes care of the customers pretty good

D

Deleted member 362816

I get a kick out of some of these people who are bitching about cyberpower on the fourms half of the issues are op error and there not even cyber powers fault, one guy said he took of the waterblock on the cpu to make sure the bottom was copper lol, then he did not replace tim reset the cpu and ended up burning it out, he blamed cp for this i laughed it clearly states on your order "DO NOT TAKE THINKS APART" its voids warrenty lol. Reviews are worth a grain of salt. If someone bought a 5000$ computer and it was all great but one of the fans was to loud they are going to bitch up a storm to make themselves feel better about it. Then again people bitch about there warrenty service as of right now if the computer has an issue after a 1 month and the issue is one of the gpus died they will usally not just send you a new gpu they want the whole computer back. I dont blame them they have figured out that it is people messing around with stuff also overclocking yourseld voids the warrenty so if you overclock ya cpu and you fry somthing they will not warrenty it there are also a bunch of people bitching about this in the fourms. People say i dont get why i cant overclock it myself its because they charge money for the overclocking serivce so no there not going to let you piss with it. lol

just my thoughts

na300zx

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010

WOW.....

herpity

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Status Update: I received my computer a couple of days ago (I've sent it in 3 times for repairs now). First time I turned it on, could see it was freshly reformatted. Not sure how they tested it, unless they test and reformat.
Anyways, I let it start up to and left it alone for a few mins, then I started up windows explorer, and after a few seconds - boom: blue screen.
It restarted and scanned itself, and blue screened again. I let it do this cycle of self scanning, restarting, and blue screening about 5 times before I just turned it off when it was shutting down.
Looked inside, saw the RAM was in slots 2 and 4, so I took them out and put one in slot 1. Restarted, played a game of solitaire to test it. Seemed fine. Shut down, switched sticks in slot 1, played another game, seemed fine. Shut down & put both sticks in slots 1 and 3. Ran alright for a bit.
However, I keep randomly getting blue screens or the computer will just shut down and restart on its own for no reason. I also unplugged a wire from the front USB plug, and that caused the computer to shut down and restart. I keep getting lots of windows errors.
This is all the exact same problems I had when I first received the computer, before it decided not to turn on at all.
I was was hoping that third time of sending it in for repairs would be the charm, but apparently I'm just headed down the same road again.....

Nice....

BrotherofCats

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Please don't bother with Cyberpower. They are incompetant. Sent my computer without the proper bios code for windows and the only solution they offered was to send it back to them so they could correct their mistake. I am sending it back for a refund. Now buying one from Velocity Micro, which is a more expensive system but better quaility.

cyberpowerrep

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Hello BrotherofCats,

We do apologize for the activation issue you experienced. Unfortunately, the Digital License must be injected into the motherboard and this process has to be completed with us. We also originally emailed you to inform you this procedure would be taken care of for you at no cost to you. We want nothing more then to get this Digital License matter resolved.

You have also emailed us: "I am going to go on a different complaints websites every day and post something about Cyberpower and my shitty experience."

At this time and after the last contact with our customer service and support center, another RMA for refund processing will be emailed to you so that you may return the product. We again apologize for any inconvenience.