News Cyberpunk 2077 AMD FSR 2.0 User Mod Doubles Frame Rates

Just like with the AVX fix, it's always random people in the Internet doing the things we want to see fixed or done in modern games, LOL. That speaks a lot about Devs these days.

Other than that, it's really cool to see FSR2.0 being so easy to implement (or hack) into a game with DLSS2.0 support.

Regards.

Reactions: Why_Me

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Just like with the AVX fix, it's always random people in the Internet doing the things we want to see fixed or done in modern games, LOL. That speaks a lot about Devs these days.

Other than that, it's really cool to see FSR2.0 being so easy to implement (or hack) into a game with DLSS2.0 support.

Regards.

Devs? I think the decision needs to come from upper management to spend that time and money on implementing it. Unless you expect Devs to spend unpaid time to work on it for 3-30 days for no reason.
And then it has to be quality-tested and sent to MS and Sony to be approved, which also isn't free.
Because you wouldn't expect a lower level of quality. Like you do with mods and modders. I mean, if this mod crashes your game, you are probably removing it and moving on with your life. But, if it was official...I bet you would swear to never buy their games again or similar =).
Btw, who did all the bonuses go to for Cyberpunk? 99% went to upper management. Millions of dollars.

Reactions: KyaraM
Devs? I think the decision needs to come from upper management to spend that time and money on implementing it. Unless you expect Devs to spend unpaid time to work on it for 3-30 days for no reason.
And then it has to be quality-tested and sent to MS and Sony to be approved, which also isn't free.
Because you wouldn't expect a lower level of quality. Like you do with mods and modders. I mean, if this mod crashes your game, you are probably removing it and moving on with your life. But, if it was official...I bet you would swear to never buy their games again or similar =).
Btw, who did all the bonuses go to for Cyberpunk? 99% went to upper management. Millions of dollars.
Ah, I was expecting this reply.

To what I'll say: no, Devs still have a say in what they work on when it comes to features and such. It's not like Dev studios can't speak their mind and help organize roadmaps. They're not mindless slaves. Granted, FSR may not be an "strategic" thing they want to work on, since AMD probably is not going to give them any money to include it, but you cannot deny it is a very nice to have in a game that struggles with modern hardware to run.

As for your mods comment. Yes, that is true. A modder doesn't need to pass much scrutiny, but you can believe if the mod breaks the game, it won't be used.

Regards.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

Regards.
This reminds me of the time some user made a GTA V mod that reduced seconds of the loading time because of some giant JSON file. Later on, Rockstar themselves made changes to that JSON to achieve the same effect officially.

Who knows, maybe it's this that pushes the game to upgrade FSR.

This is a mod for the PC version. And the game's existing DLSS and FSR 1.0 upscaling support is only available on PC, so Microsoft and Sony have nothing to do with that.

Cyberpunk 2077 already had a "dumpster fire" level of quality at launch, and while it's been improved somewhat since then, from what I've heard it's still in many ways an unfinished mess a year and a half later. We're talking about a game that Playstation removed from its online storefront for half a year due to how fundamentally broken it was at launch. So, if anyone was going to swear to not buy CD Projekt's games due to the title being buggy or crashing, they most likely did so already.

And since FSR 2.0 appears to interface with the game's render pipeline similar to DLSS, I suspect it's probably relatively easy for a developer to add support for it to a game that already supports DLSS. They might want to spend some time adjusting the parameters to find an optimal balance of performance to visual quality though, and would most likely roll the feature in with a bunch of other updates.

This reminds me of the time some user made a GTA V mod that reduced seconds of the loading time because of some giant JSON file. Later on, Rockstar themselves made changes to that JSON to achieve the same effect officially.
They didn't just reduce the loading time by seconds. It was more like minutes for the online mode on many systems.

Apparently, the parser was inefficiently reading through the entire 10MB file one character at a time every time a bit of data was read from it, then needlessly reading through the entire contents of the array it was storing that data into, and repeating that process around 63,000 times for each piece of data, resulting in the game needlessly grinding away for minutes just to load a relatively small data file that should have taken seconds. The modder managed to drop load times from 6 minutes down to less than 2 minutes on their system just by inserting a routine that cached the data entries and skipped some unnecessary checks when loading the file.

Rockstar apparently did pay them a $10,000 bug bounty for the fix. They usually only reserve bounties like that for critical security flaws, but made an exception considering how much of an improvement it made to the game's notoriously long load times.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
This is a mod for the PC version. And the game's existing DLSS and FSR 1.0 upscaling support is only available on PC, so Microsoft and Sony have nothing to do with that.

Cyberpunk 2077 already had a "dumpster fire" level of quality at launch, and while it's been improved somewhat since then, from what I've heard it's still in many ways an unfinished mess a year and a half later. We're talking about a game that Playstation removed from its online storefront for half a year due to how fundamentally broken it was at launch. So, if anyone was going to swear to not buy CD Projekt's games due to the title being buggy or crashing, they most likely did so already.

And since FSR 2.0 appears to interface with the game's render pipeline similar to DLSS, I suspect it's probably relatively easy for a developer to add support for it to a game that already supports DLSS. They might want to spend some time adjusting the parameters to find an optimal balance of performance to visual quality though, and would most likely roll the feature in with a bunch of other updates.

First point, FSR2 is coming to Xbox: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-gets-fsr-2-0
I bet Playstation will have it shortly after. Similar hardware, right? And I bet the gamers want it.

Wasn't there something about if your game already has FSR1, implementing FSR2 is faster. So it could be a quick thing. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing FSR2 in CP2077. I like CP2077. I don't like the state of it. I've had it since release.

In terms of doubling the FPS as the title of the article states, I see no evidence of that in the Mx-something youtube video. Looks to be the same FPS.

First point, FSR2 is coming to Xbox: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-gets-fsr-2-0
I bet Playstation will have it shortly after. Similar hardware, right? And I bet the gamers want it.

Wasn't there something about if your game already has FSR1, implementing FSR2 is faster. So it could be a quick thing. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing FSR2 in CP2077. I like CP2077. I don't like the state of it. I've had it since release.

In terms of doubling the FPS as the title of the article states, I see no evidence of that in the Mx-something youtube video. Looks to be the same FPS.

Gamers want it but some complication might happen with developer or publisher. Also console gamer usually sit much father than pc gamer against the screen. So most often they can get away even with simple graphic quality reduction to increase performance because some details are hard to see when you sit at least a few meters from the TV.

FSR 2 is faster to implement if the game already have active DLSS implementation. Not FSR 1. That's why you did not see many games that already have FSR 1 not instantly being upgraded to FSR 2.