News Cyberpunk 2077 Bug Bulldozes AMD Ryzen: Here's a Fix, Tested

clsmithj

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
You guys test graphs gave me a headache. I wish you went with simple blue bars to show the performance difference, and left the Core i9 CPU off since it's Intel and not relevant to this patch.

Reactions: Soaptrail
Dec 14, 2020
Crippled by devs legends apart, I have to say this time great useful job done here by Tom's, a few more Intel CPUs wouldn't have hurt but thanks anyway ^^

I can understand that you can make a mistake while writing code, I made it many many times back in the days. But after almost 8 years of work and how many launch delays, its kinda lame they failed to fix or adjust this simple mistakes.

I mean how did they run the beta testing? And it looks even worst if what Viilutaja posted happend to be a mistake too.

jmc

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
CDPR clearly didn't fully tested many hardware combinations but this also comes from AMD recommendation

"For today’s Ryzen processors with SMT enabled, we’ve found that the vast majority of multithreaded games and applications work and scale really well when managing an active thread pool up to the number of logical cores that the processor supports. However, our experience with a small number of games is that driving a hardware thread pool with more than the number of physical cores can reduce performance, primarily due to contention for available per-core resources by the multiple running hardware threads. "

If you look at their code (AMD guidance) you will see that it goes against the general advice and basically just limits the thread count to the number of physical cores of all AMD CPUs

COLGeek

Cybernaut
A bucket loader does not a bulldozer make: ;)

450K_fT4_Right_Front_3_Quarter_Large_large_8220e2a76423a1e64361bba1fc9b3364fa1b0b8d.png

Reactions: Soaptrail
FYI: So much "nope" on that Reddit post. It's likely a placebo, or probably even straight up trolling.

"My load times went from 20 seconds down to 2 seconds!" BS. Absolute BS. And yes, I tried it just to verify, but there's definitely no change in fps, and on most PCs I suspect editing that file has zero impact whatsoever.

I'm not saying the other linked utilities (which can fix the EXE so it uses SMT) are bogus, and maybe some specific (older?) PCs might even benefit from some of these tweaks. But the PoolGPU and PoolCPU entries do not appear to matter for the PCs I checked.

Reactions: Deders

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
As a 3900X owner, this bug concerns me. This is yet another reason to wait 3-9 months to play Cyberpunk once it's actually complete and performing well. Having employees crunch to complete a game results in all sorts of small bugs like this. There's probably all sorts of things coded into the game but disabled at the moment because of the rush to release.

Besides, I'm not entirely sure a 1070 GPU is going to provide a good enough experience. Maybe a 6800 or 3070 will, but who knows when they'll actually be in stock again.

deankenny

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2013
Doesn't make the slightest bit of different on my 5900x and RTX3080 system.
Then again the article does say over 8 cores doesn't seem to do much, in some cases lose performance, so just in case I'm going to set the exe back to stock.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
As a 3900X owner, this bug concerns me. This is yet another reason to wait 3-9 months to play Cyberpunk once it's actually complete and performing well. Having employees crunch to complete a game results in all sorts of small bugs like this. There's probably all sorts of things coded into the game but disabled at the moment because of the rush to release.

Besides, I'm not entirely sure a 1070 GPU is going to provide a good enough experience. Maybe a 6800 or 3070 will, but who knows when they'll actually be in stock again.

I will wait til the price is under $20 so in 1-3 years i will play it and know my hardware will be able to play it smoothly and all patches have been released. But I have not played titles on day 1 since before i had kids.

Reactions: AndrewJacksonZA