News Cyberpunk 2077 Developer: Don't Ask PlayStation for Refunds

Bill Wendel

Distinguished
May 7, 2013
Who gets away with releasing a game that is broken at launch? I've heard of games that needed some bug fixes here and there and maybe patches for performance but to fix a game for a console that is broken at launch is complete Bravo Sierra. One of the benefits of console programming is that the hardware is set. Programmers don't have to worry about a multitude of hardware configurations.

If I paid a bunch of money for a game that was pretty much unplayable I'd want my money back as well. Or file complaint with BBB and and whatever consumer protection service my state has to offer. Then I'd never buy a game from that company again.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Who gets away with releasing a game that is broken at launch? I've heard of games that needed some bug fixes here and there and maybe patches for performance but to fix a game for a console that is broken at launch is complete Bravo Sierra. One of the benefits of console programming is that the hardware is set. Programmers don't have to worry about a multitude of hardware configurations.

If I paid a bunch of money for a game that was pretty much unplayable I'd want my money back as well. Or file complaint with BBB and and whatever consumer protection service my state has to offer. Then I'd never buy a game from that company again.

It's a sign of where the gaming industry went. First time I encountered this was playing Skyrim on PS3. You can Google it. Memory would get filled up and the game began to stutter. People were livid. I got lucky because Frys allowed me to exchange the physical copy from PS3 version to PC. Now that everything is digital distribution that would never work.

It's a sad state that gaming is in. Fired up RDR2 on PC last week and found out that something called "naturalist update" ruined what was already an extremely buggy game. Like many others, I can't even run it anymore without a CTD.

These kind of <Mod Edit>-show releases are happening more and more. Really makes me question spending money on games/hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bigdragon

woot

Distinguished
Dont the developers usually test their games on all the applicable platforms to find bugs? how does this go through unnoticed?

Maybe they just decided to rush the release so they dont get any more death threats for delaying the game...

Ameen Jarrar

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2014
Ahhh, welp, it was nice to have a decent game company in the industry while it lasted. I had a feeling that someday CD Projekt/CD Projekt RED would do something to anger people. And I'm sad that my worried thought was right.

Reactions: MorganPike

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Ahhh, welp, it was nice to have a decent game company in the industry while it lasted. I had a feeling that someday CD Projekt/CD Projekt RED would do something to anger people. And I'm sad that my worried thought was right.

Money trumps artistic vision. Once a company reaches a certain size the 'suits' take over and the creators take a back seat. I agree with you, this sucks but it certainly is no surprise.

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Dont the developers usually test their games on all the applicable platforms to find bugs? how does this go through unnoticed?

Maybe they just decided to rush the release so they dont get any more death threats for delaying the game...

CDPR certainly deserves a lot of blame here. But also, aren't MS and Sony supposed to test products before they're released on their respective platforms in an effort to protect their customers? I know MS has a fairly involved approval process and I'm confident Sony does as well, but not as confident as I was a couple weeks ago, LOL . So all I'm saying is, there's plenty of blame to go around.

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
It's a sad state that gaming is in. Fired up RDR2 on PC last week and found out that something called "naturalist update" ruined what was already an extremely buggy game. Like many others, I can't even run it anymore without a CTD.

Well that's disturbing news. I've been wanting to get back to that game.

Jim90

Distinguished
CDPR certainly deserves a lot of blame here. But also, aren't MS and Sony supposed to test products before they're released on their respective platforms in an effort to protect their customers? I know MS has a fairly involved approval process and I'm confident Sony does as well, but not as confident as I was a couple weeks ago, LOL . So all I'm saying is, there's plenty of blame to go around.

I totally agree that console manufacturers should take more responsibility in protecting their customers from poor quality software. I wonder, though, just how much their legal team has been able to offload back to the developer (or to the consumer!). Wouldn't it be great for a class action to test just how much Sony can be legally held accountable! Seems reasonable that they should be. Seems like a great opportunity with Cyberpunk 2077.
It wasn't that many years ago, where physical media was the only distribution method, and where QA was required - by obvious default - to be taken much, much more seriously. Yes, there were still bugs (naturally), but QA and testing was way above current extremely poor levels. The internet brought pros and cons. This aspect sits firmly in the con section.

Last edited:

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
This is why we need government intervention to force game companies to do refunds. Private industry continues to fail at addressing faulty or just plain bad games. Too many game companies get away with dumping unfinished crap onto the market without a financial penalty that refunds could provide.

Personally, I have zero trust of any gaming company anymore. I've been stuck with games that were broken messes, had horrific monetization schemes patched in after launch, or that had their feature roadmaps completely thrown out. That's in addition to a few just plain bad games. Broad refund solutions are needed.

MorganPike

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
This is why we need government intervention to force game companies to do refunds. Private industry continues to fail at addressing faulty or just plain bad games. Too many game companies get away with dumping unfinished crap onto the market without a financial penalty that refunds could provide.

Personally, I have zero trust of any gaming company anymore. I've been stuck with games that were broken messes, had horrific monetization schemes patched in after launch, or that had their feature roadmaps completely thrown out. That's in addition to a few just plain bad games. Broad refund solutions are needed.

They're games. If you don't trust the companies then don't buy their products. Have a little personal responsibility. Government intervention is the last thing we need. Dang. Listen to yourself.

Reactions: Ameen Jarrar

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
They're games. If you don't trust the companies then don't buy their products. Have a little personal responsibility. Government intervention is the last thing we need. Dang. Listen to yourself.
I will never forgive companies like 2K and Activision for patching in aggressive monetization schemes month(s) after launch. It's possible to have that "personal responsibility" and still get screwed. Government intervention and regulation absolutely is necessary given all the crap the gaming industry gets away with.

TRENDING THREADS