News Cyberpunk 2077 Devs Use DMCA to Stop Stolen Code Spread

Shut down one back door, more pop up in it's place.

If it's more convenient for people to pirate, people are gonna pirate. Not everyone, obviously, but still...
Considering the game was already available on GOG without DRM (you could copy the files to a different PC and launch the game, without having GOG installed), this is not at all about piracy. Stealing a copy of a game is one thing, stealing the source code for the game, plus presumably all the other assets, is an entirely different level of theft. CDPR spent I believe over $100 million while making Cyberpunk 2077. This is theft of all that work, not the resulting product. If the perpetrators are found, or even the people who bought the source code, they warrant severe punishments. I wouldn't touch this with a 39.5 foot pole.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Considering the game was already available on GOG without DRM (you could copy the files to a different PC and launch the game, without having GOG installed), this is not at all about piracy. Stealing a copy of a game is one thing, stealing the source code for the game, plus presumably all the other assets, is an entirely different level of theft. CDPR spent I believe over $100 million while making Cyberpunk 2077. This is theft of all that work, not the resulting product. If the perpetrators are found, or even the people who bought the source code, they warrant severe punishments. I wouldn't touch this with a 39.5 foot pole.
Even if they shut down one perp, they've likely passed it down to some one else and so on... some can just lay low until things die down... it's done, their work is out there now.
I don't believe the company deserved all this, but management did dig their own grave.

Also, that's a very specific pole length...

@TravisPNW
I'm just going to wait for a 'legendary/golden' edition, or something. The feedback has just been all over the place with the PC version; it varies heavily on your hardware, OS and drivers, and in game settings... UGH.

Last edited:
Even if they shut down one perp, they've likely passed it down to some one else and so on... some can just lay low until things die down... it's done, their work is out there now.
I don't believe the company deserved all this, but management did dig their own grave.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hj3U18FHgQ

I'm not saying you can put the 'genie' back in the bottle, just that I, personally, wouldn't go anywhere near it -- not even for curiosity's sake.

Reactions: Phaaze88

@TravisPNW
I'm just going to wait for a 'legendary/golden' edition, or something. The feedback has just been all over the place with the PC version; it varies heavily on your hardware, OS and drivers, and in game settings... UGH.

Many of the issues were also overblown. If you have a decent PC with a Vega 64 or 1070 or better. The game is perfectly fine with a few hiccups here in there. I only had to redo 1 mission and had a few weird graphical glitches. But otherwise, it was fine on PC.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Many of the issues were also overblown. If you have a decent PC with a Vega 64 or 1070 or better. The game is perfectly fine with a few hiccups here in there. I only had to redo 1 mission and had a few weird graphical glitches. But otherwise, it was fine on PC.

Consider yourself lucky. I had to give up after non-stop crashes every 10-30 minutes or so that would necessitate a hard reboot each and every time.

I don't say that in trying to stop people from getting it either. Just that be aware you may or may not end up having issues with it like a lot of people are.

Consider yourself lucky. I had to give up after non-stop crashes every 10-30 minutes or so that would necessitate a hard reboot each and every time.

I don't say that in trying to stop people from getting it either. Just that be aware you may or may not end up having issues with it like a lot of people are.

I played it with both my Vega 64 and 3060ti. I had I think 1 lockup for the whole game which required me to hold down the power button and restart my PC.