News Cyberpunk 2077 Path Tracing Overdrive Patch Finally Available to Everyone

D

Deleted member 2838871

Own it... but have never installed it due to all the complaints at launch.

I think now is the time.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Why is it that 'natural' lighting leaves almost all outdoor areas bleached bright while inside areas are almost unnavigable. It's like there's no mechanism for eye adjustment, just non-stop glare. From a 'natural' perspective, maybe it looks slightly more realistic, but from a gaming perspective, I would hate to play it this way. Something's missing.

Reactions: thisisaname
Own it... but have never installed it due to all the complaints at launch.

I think now is the time.
I did the same and started playing a few weeks ago. I'm pretty far in (65h played). Not many game-breaking bugs (only twice had to reload due to mission glitches), but a lot of graphical glitches still and some awful pathing - when you are on mission as a passenger, it should not be this jerky and 1996-era car snaps as it turns - think the intro to Half Life 1. Driving generally is pretty naff - "200"mph really doesn't feel that different to 65. and the handling model is extremely basic. More so that San Adreas or something like Sleeping Dogs - which is a Square Enix game from 2012.

It's not as funny as GTA, but I do keep coming back to it - I enjoy cyber warfare a lot f'sure. I just wish the world felt more real - it doesn't feel as vibrant as San Andreas, let alone GTAV.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Why is it that 'natural' lighting leaves almost all outdoor areas bleached bright while inside areas are almost unnavigable. It's like there's no mechanism for eye adjustment, just non-stop glare. From a 'natural' perspective, maybe it looks slightly more realistic, but from a gaming perspective, I would hate to play it this way. Something's missing.

Yes eyes are great they way they adjust to light levels is nothing short of amazing and if that does not work Sunglasses if to bright and night vision goggles if too dark. For a game set in a high tech world it is bad the same can not be said of the game.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I did the same and started playing a few weeks ago. I'm pretty far in (65h played). Not many game-breaking bugs (only twice had to reload due to mission glitches), but a lot of graphical glitches still and some awful pathing - when you are on mission as a passenger, it should not be this jerky and 1996-era car snaps as it turns - think the intro to Half Life 1. Driving generally is pretty naff - "200"mph really doesn't feel that different to 65. and the handling model is extremely basic. More so that San Adreas or something like Sleeping Dogs - which is a Square Enix game from 2012.

It's not as funny as GTA, but I do keep coming back to it - I enjoy cyber warfare a lot f'sure. I just wish the world felt more real - it doesn't feel as vibrant as San Andreas, let alone GTAV.

Thanks for the heads up... gonna give it a go soon I think. I will keep my expectations low. :LOL:

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
CD Projekt Red was not kidding about Overdrive Mode's graphics requirements.

And that's one reason that this is a just a "Technical Preview" for now, so proper standardization of Path Tracing will require further optimizations down the road.

But as odd this may sound, CD Projekt Red has also stated previously that the RT Overdrive mode is going to be hardware-agnostic which means that it won't require proprietary technology to run, and gamers will be able to enjoy it on any graphics card out there, given that it has the processing and compute prowess to run Path Tracing at a stable frame rate.

Curious to know how the AMD RX 7900XTX is going to fare in future iteration of this RT overdrive mode/implementation.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr9ZPRKm9dU&t=605s&ab_channel=PCWorld

Last edited:

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
To quote someone else, "We've gotten so good at cheating with raster graphics, that I kind of don't really care about raytracing."

Though I've heard if we fully raytraced games and had the hardware available for everyone to easily run them, raytraced graphics are much easier to work with from a developer standpoint.

KyaraM

Admirable
GN uploaded this video that might shed some light on it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EYaMupOPJg

Basically it seems like, as a quick summary, since the game was released without PT and it was tacked on later, the developers put quite some time into optimizing "regular" RT, which is naturally missing for PT. That means that it looks better because it was optimized by hand.l, simple as that. Also, PT is advertised as a mere tech demo. It is free for everyone who has CP77, so I don't see an issue with it being imperfect whatsoever. Using or not using it won't impact your experience in the game and it is interesting to see what might be available in the future.

Btw, I further found it very interesting to see how DLSS and Frame Generation help here. I also found a few reviews testing PT on a 4070Ti in 1440p and it actually didn't play too badly, either, with or without FG.