News Cyberpunk 2077 Pulled From PlayStation Store, Sony to Offer Refunds

Jim90

Distinguished
Well done studio owners for demanding the release of a very, very clearly unfinished game. Well done Sony for washing their hands of any QA whatsoever and allowing said unfinished game to be sold. Well done Nvidia for adding to the obvious pressures with their equally obvious financial sweetener, a sweetener primarily, obviously, directed to the studio owners.
This has nothing to do with the game programmers, gfx and sound artists -it would be revealing, to say the least, if they could produce a joint statement. Unfortunately that won't happen.
What a shame...a company previously held in such high esteem. Today's QA, in general - as directed by game studio owners and console manufacturers - is rather...damningly crap. As a games programmer in the 80-90's, I would hate to be tied to a studio today.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdragon

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
Finally the media ran out of ideas to milk CDPR for more print and went after the actual big names, Sony and Microsoft, who green lit the game.
Their QA team probably never checked the game other that assure that it boots since sales were promising to be big.
All this BS would never have happen is they refused to put the game in their platforms.
CDPR screwed up but Sony and Microsoft saw exactly what was going on and turn a blind eye.
No one wins. Hoping CDPR fixes the games and adds some must need QoL improvements to the game after bugs are fixed.

Reactions: jepeman
Seems these big game studios never learn. Not only should everyone who bought the game get a refund, they should also get a free copy when it's polished. :)

Free game? I think that's going a bit far... Let's be realistic how many games have launched in a very broken game states? This has happened over and over. So often people should know not to pre-order things if you don't want to be the beta-testers. I'm by no means saying that makes it right. I'm just saying we should all know better by now.

I think the other part of this issue though is every one expected more out of CDPR and held them to a higher standard. This is why everyone got caught off guard by this. In hindsight it might have been better to stop putting hard dates in things and just delay it until it was ready rather than give themselves a due date. Since the only other option was release on PC and tell console owners they had to wait, and I'm sure that wouldn't have went over well...

Either way, I still think CDPR will fix it. I'm enjoying my copy, and at least it's still a good story driven single player game without loot boxes.

Reactions: ravewulf

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
People should know by now that games, in general, are going to be buggy on launch. Your options are A) buy it on launch and be a beta tester to help work out the bugs or B) wait until the game is stable.

fevanson

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Finally the media ran out of ideas to milk CDPR for more print and went after the actual big names, Sony and Microsoft, who green lit the game.
Their QA team probably never checked the game other that assure that it boots since sales were promising to be big.
All this BS would never have happen is they refused to put the game in their platforms.
CDPR screwed up but Sony and Microsoft saw exactly what was going on and turn a blind eye.
No one wins. Hoping CDPR fixes the games and adds some must need QoL improvements to the game after bugs are fixed.

They skipped QA. Direct dev builds from their source control system XD.

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
So consumers "demand" that developers hurry up and rush the product, going so far as to chew them out, send them death threats, threaten to never buy their games, then when they DO rush the game, it comes out unfinished, people get upset and start b!tching the game is unfinished and buggy....classy.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Free game? I think that's going a bit far... Let's be realistic how many games have launched in a very broken game states? This has happened over and over. So often people should know not to pre-order things if you don't want to be the beta-testers. I'm by no means saying that makes it right. I'm just saying we should all know better by now.

I think the other part of this issue though is every one expected more out of CDPR and held them to a higher standard. This is why everyone got caught off guard by this. In hindsight it might have been better to stop putting hard dates in things and just delay it until it was ready rather than give themselves a due date. Since the only other option was release on PC and tell console owners they had to wait, and I'm sure that wouldn't have went over well...

Either way, I still think CDPR will fix it. I'm enjoying my copy, and at least it's still a good story driven single player game without loot boxes.

No this is just you being greedy you’re not entitled to a free game

I didn't buy the game, nor do I have any interest in buying it. Not a game I am interested in playing. And I don't think it's being greedy at all, to offer a free game to those who bought it and wasted their time on such a broken game. At least offer them a discount on it, or some free in-game bonus content.

you missing point.

delay was due to the console versions taking up time.

they could have launched it PC first (and got all bugs and performance done) then worked on console versions.

delaying a game only to have its reason for the delay be so bad just shows how much time was wasted overall.

I did not miss the point, the delay still gave them to fix some problems with the nextgen consoles. It's playable on the nextgen consoles, but crashes sometimes, however you can still play the game. As opposed to the old gen consoles which are unplayable.

I didn't buy the game, nor do I have any interest in buying it. Not a game I am interested in playing. And I don't think it's being greedy at all, to offer a free game to those who bought it and wasted their time on such a broken game. At least offer them a discount on it, or some free in-game bonus content.

Wasted their time? This is a video game. As for free in game content, don't worry this is CDPR I'm quite sure this game will get updates and some free story updates as well. Heck they are still updating Witcher 3 which released in 2015?

Has Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft, etc, given away any of their titles when they release a buggy mess of a game? Honestly I'm starting to think everyone forgets what new game launches are like every time a game launches. As this happens with almost every game launch it seems anymore. People just didn't expect it as much from CDPR, they are held to a different standard than other developers.

You know I think the only games that don't have disastrous launches thesse days seem to be the indie games? There have been some indie titles with controversies around them, but I'm trying to think of one that launched in a very broken state? (Maybe I don't follow it closely enough?)

Wasted their time? This is a video game. As for free in game content, don't worry this is CDPR I'm quite sure this game will get updates and some free story updates as well. Heck they are still updating Witcher 3 which released in 2015?

Has Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft, etc, given away any of their titles when they release a buggy mess of a game? Honestly I'm starting to think everyone forgets what new game launches are like every time a game launches. As this happens with almost every game launch it seems anymore. People just didn't expect it as much from CDPR, they are held to a different standard than other developers.

You know I think the only games that don't have disastrous launches thesse days seem to be the indie games? There have been some indie titles with controversies around them, but I'm trying to think of one that launched in a very broken state? (Maybe I don't follow it closely enough?)
Yes! Wasted their time! They wasted their time buying it, installing it, then their time playing it, their time uninstalling it, and eventually, their time requesting a refund. A few game bugs here and there is certainly understandable, and is to be expected. I get that. But people should be angry when they buy something so badly broken. You would think these game studios would learn from such past mistakes from all those other disaster launches, but unfortunately, it keeps happening. And seems like it happens way too often. I have no answer as to why it keeps happening. Maybe they try to rush them out for the holiday buying season.

We'll probably be discussing this once again after Battlefield 6 launches (supposedly, later this year). :p

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019

Yes, i do agree... Thats why i have still yet to purchase the game. I will perhaps only play it 6 months later. By then the game should be in a pretty stable state.

Well, we all have been waiting for it for 8yrs already, whats another 6 months? Best of all, i will not be frustrated by the bugs. So i would say its a good thing.

Awev

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
No, I do not hold publishers to a higher standard. I think it is sad that not everyone does not hold them to at least an acceptable standard. When I purchase a car I don't want to be the one that tests a new model, because it never went through QA before being sold to the public. Quality Assurance is part of the design and build process, not just some afterthought. This is almost like a sous chef throwing together a pastry that they have never tried before, doesn't bother watching what ingredients he/she includes, doesn't even bother to put it in the oven for a few minutes, and expects you to pay full price for the chance to be sick. If the lemon laws for appliances where applied to games then we would see better releases and some companies going out of business.

Have you heard, Star Citizen Alpha 3.12 was released yesterday :LOL:

TRENDING THREADS