Question Cyberpunk menu screen causes worse thermal performance than a torture test ?

Pseudoabdul

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
I have a Ryzen 5600X with the stock cooler (in the process of upgrading) and a 3080. I've been a bit worried about my temps and have been keeping a close eye on them. I've noticed that when I open cyberpunk I almost immediately thermal throttle at 95C. I thought that was a bit much, so I did all sorts of benchmarking. I ran all the 3DMark test and it never got above 83. I ran a CPU torture test and fully loaded all cores and it settled at about 89C. I then loaded cyberpunk back up and it quickly thermal throttled again. I understand my current cooling isn't sufficient, but how is it even possible to overheat the CPU more in a menu screen than in a thermal torture test? The CPU usage in the menu averages about 40% for me.

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

Might I ask where you sourced the installer for your game? The first iterations of the game were so horribly coded that it had glitches all over the place and even made some hardware run abnormally hot. I think at one point, it became the game that replaced the "can it run Crysis?" meme.

Mind sharing the rest of your system's specs? Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Game menus can be notorious for running uncapped. And since menus tend to be stupid simple to render and nothing's going on, you create a situation where the hardware is just trying to poop out as many frames as possible.

Other tests may stress other parts of either the CPU and GPU and stressing those parts may not cause as much of a energy spike.

TRENDING THREADS