Cyclic redundancy Error external hard drive can't initialize

kks21199

Reputable
May 13, 2014
I have a single partition on my external WD Hard Drive. It worked fine yesterday night but now it shows Cyclic Redundancy Error on Disk Management when initializing it. After trying sometime, it came online but it had no partitions and when i created one it again showed the error and went back to unallocated.

I can't use the chkdsk command on CMD for the disk.

02ab088aafdf06587bdeeab67d4c4701.png

I just want to recover all my data. I have a year old projects on it. Can anyone help me ?

Solution
Hi there kks21199,

You can start with just changing the USB cable as well as the port.
If the issue persists, you can try testing the drive with WD's DLG tool. The results will eventually show you what is wrong with the drive.
Also, you can use some partition/data recovery software in order to see whether you will be able to recover some of the partitions/data. Keep in mind that even if you manage to access the drive with some tool, it is highly probable that you have overwritten some of the data with the creation of the new partition.
If you can't access the drive with the data recovery tools, then I guess you will need to contact a data recovery company in case the data is really important. In case the drive is WD Elements(non...
Hi there kks21199,

You can start with just changing the USB cable as well as the port.
If the issue persists, you can try testing the drive with WD's DLG tool. The results will eventually show you what is wrong with the drive.
Also, you can use some partition/data recovery software in order to see whether you will be able to recover some of the partitions/data. Keep in mind that even if you manage to access the drive with some tool, it is highly probable that you have overwritten some of the data with the creation of the new partition.
If you can't access the drive with the data recovery tools, then I guess you will need to contact a data recovery company in case the data is really important. In case the drive is WD Elements(non encrypted model), you can try taking the drive out of the enclosure and attach it internally. If the drive is either WD My Passport or WD My Book, you will need to contact a data recovery company.

WD's DLG tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ERKh23
WD's Data Recovery Partners: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=f1NFz1

Hope this will help,
D_Know_WD

Solution

kks21199

Reputable
May 13, 2014

The HDD is dead. Tested it with DLG and it showed a failed result if I remember. Was recovering data with photorec but my bad the hard disk died before recovering 2gb data from 500gb ++ data I have stored in 1tb drive.

I dont have any usb cables like that, it looks like a note 3 cable usb 3.0. The HDD still lights up but now it wont even show up in computer management or anywhere else