Question Cycling BSOD

Foistorlast

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Hello all!
I'm currently at a loss of what to do with my windows 10 machine. I'm guessing that is went through an update a week or so back that went corrupt. Now I am unable to do anything with it. The second anything windows tries to load it either freezes or pops up the BSOD with differening stop codes, from system service exception to attempted write to read only memory.
The computer doesn't boot into windows at all so I can't get a minidump. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

lets see if running system restore will fix it

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore
pick a recent date, possibly before update and let system roll back to it and hopefully fix the problem

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does windows work now? or crash right away still?

how far do you get? are you getting to login screen? if so, do this
open the power menu in bottom right of screen
while holding the left shift, click restart now button
this loads you into advanced startup on restart
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

go to C:/windows/minidump and copy the files to a USB. On a working PC, upload the files to a file sharing web site and show the link here.

now if the bsod are drivers, you shouldn't get them in safe mode. the codes could be drivers still. Need to see dumps before we sure.

I feel if it were a fried CPU you wouldn't be able to boot.

Foistorlast

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Does windows work now? or crash right away still?

how far do you get? are you getting to login screen? if so, do this
open the power menu in bottom right of screen
while holding the left shift, click restart now button
this loads you into advanced startup on restart
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

go to C:/windows/minidump and copy the files to a USB. On a working PC, upload the files to a file sharing web site and show the link here.

now if the bsod are drivers, you shouldn't get them in safe mode. the codes could be drivers still. Need to see dumps before we sure.

I feel if it were a fried CPU you wouldn't be able to boot.
Sorry for such a late response I was in the middle of a move and just fired it back up to try again.

Unfortunately It cannot load windows at all. As soon as it gets passed the screen that says press del for bios, it will attempt to load. Not even get a full spinning wheel and crash. That with or without trying to boot the recovery media

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are specs of the PC? Do you have an ssd?

Need to get into BIOS and redirect it to use the USB, as if you still getting BSOD, it could be still trying to boot off the Boot drive. If we can get it to use USB, we can do a number of things. It sounds like windows likely needs a reinstall, not sure what went wrong, but we can hopefully save data off the Boot drive if you need it

if we can boot off USB you can do this to save the data
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

now if you have an ssd you could use a feature of your BIOS called Secure erase to wipe it or you can just do that as part of the clean install process - Clean install

Foistorlast

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Hello again. sorry i kinda just gave up on it and recently came back to it.
I have a b450f gaming motherboard with an amd Ryzen 5 with integrated graphics. and a 250 gg Kingston SSD and a single stick of 8g gskill ripjaw ddr4.
I have done the secure erase on my SSD so when I don't use my usb install media it says it needs one, but the second I try to use the media the windows logo pops up and then bsod and restart. It doesn't work long enough to get to any options or perform a clean install.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You gave up for 18 months?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf << motherboard manual

So if ssd is only drive in PC and its blank now after a secure erase, the only way you can get a windows logo at boot is if its using the USB.
Secure erase wiped ssd, there is no windows there to clean install.

Did you ever try making the installer on another USB? It might be the USB or that installer that is causing error.

another thought is - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

Foistorlast

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
I had another system so it wasn't really a priority, and got lost in boxes until my wife suddenly wanted one too.

But yes I have tried multiple usb drives creating a new install media each time in case it was corrupt.

As far as the ram goes, I will run that test in the morning. But I used it in my other system until I got an upgrade and it worked fine both before and after the BSOD started.
I'll update you if/when I do the memtest.

Thanks for the help

Colif

Win 11 Master
As far as the ram goes, I will run that test in the morning. But I used it in my other system until I got an upgrade and it worked fine both before and after the BSOD started.

an amd Ryzen 5 with integrated graphics.
which Ryzen 5? look on the memory compatibility list for whichever family you have and see if Ram was tested for the motherboard as Ryzen can be picky regarding ram - https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_qvl/