Cyonic AU-650x PSU Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Cyonic is a new company that recently entered the PSU market with offerings based on Seasonic platforms, which offer good performance and reliability. Today we're taking a detailed look at the AU-650x power supply.

Cyonic AU-650x PSU Review : Read more

PureBlackFire

Reputable
BANNED
Apr 27, 2015
this along with the GS 550/650 all need price drops. selling at the same price as the XFX XTR series and other offerings on the superior S12G platform is a bad move. the EVGA G2 units sink this even further being just $10 more.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Geez this market is getting crowded. I'm sure this is a great unit, but what could it possibly offer that Seasonic's other numerous 650w units don't? I understand it from Seasonic's standpoint. The more hands in the cookie jar, the more cookies!

Overall, I personally find the EVGA GS to be a bit overrated, and this unit is not much better. I just can't deal with 3.3V rail load regulation at 4.7%. That's way too high for my liking. Ripple, seeing over 70mv. Again, I don't like that. I just don't think it's that good. The only thing going for this and the GS is the full modularity and the pricing. The Corsair TX V2 is a much better performer than both of these, and that is an old budget oriented unit form years ago. Seasonic needs to step up their game when it comes to these units. I've seen much better, such as the Silverstone Nightjar 520W.

Then again, I'm a lot more strict when it comes to normal people with this stuff. What is "good" to some of you is probably considered "poor" by me. Or your "Excellent" is my "good". I do recommend the GS series very frequently in many builds. It's an average PSU, and so is this one, but I don't like that 3.3V regulation. If it was lower, I'd be much happier.

Oh, and great review. Toms has better PSU reviews than any other site.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
turkey3_scratch, this unit and the GS series units are in no way "average" in terms of real world usage and reliability. The worst Seasonic psu is still going to be much better than average.

When I see units on the market getting even 0% regulation on minor rails, ripple 10mv on both minor rails and under 25mv for the 12V, I consider the GS to be average. "Average" is subjective - it's just how I think of it. :) Reliability is definitely high, quality capacitors, but it's the performance that I would like to see improvements upon.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Yeah but you're basing EVERYTHING on stats and other peoples' reviews. Have you ever even had your hands on one of these? Have you ever used one? Have you ever done a psu tear down? I'm not trying to bust your balls. I'm glad that you have taken such an interest in psus. I'm just saying there's no substitute for hands on experience.

Using a PSU is not going to make me like it more or less. From my third person perspective, the PSU is either working or it's not. That's why I like statistics, it tells me what's going on deep inside that I cannot tell from the outside. And no, I have not done a PSU tear down. I'm still a beginner in learning about PSUs. But other people do tear downs, and if they do, I don't need to.

And also, I'm planning on buying a 550 GS myself. So just goes to show you that I even do like the series, even though I consider it average.

The whole point of this series from Seasonic and the companies who use it is that its cheaper than their high-end line. The results are what I'd call average performance with some instances of issues that are barely in-spec for ATX power supplies. I agree with turkey3_scratch on this.

These units aren't bad and I'd consider them in some lower budget builds, but not in higher budget builds or when anything more than modest overclocking is intended. They certainly aren't tier 1.

Though the G2 is super close in price to the GS. The current 550W G2 is the exact same price as the 550W GS. As a matter of fact, the GS 550W has probably been my most recommended PSU on this forum. It all depends on how it is priced.

Yeah, true I do recommend the XFX Core Edition 550W a lot. B2 750W used to be my go-to, pcpartpicker doesn't list it anymore, but you can manually go to the page for it and add it to the part list. But frankly, most builds on here only need a 550W PSU like the XFX. And if the B2 is $10 more, I'll recommend the XFX. Ones that do need a higher rated PSU, I usually go to a G2.

550W GS is probably my second most recommended.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
I wouldn't put it lower than tier 2 based on reliability alone. Reliability being the single most important aspect of a psu IMO.

When I think of tier 3 units, I think of models that are either mediocre in reliability or models that test well when new, but don't age very well.

The ripple wasn't really bad. 60mv is quite common on PSUs. The minor rails were both very good. Thew voltage regulation on the 3.3V rail just could have been improved. It was 0.3% from being out of spec.

@Cturbo: I mean if you go to pcpartpicker, and click on PSU, and narrow it down to EVGA units, the B2 is not listed. But if you Google "pcpartpicker EVGA B2", you can find the page for it.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
@Cturbo: I mean if you go to pcpartpicker, and click on PSU, and narrow it down to EVGA units, the B2 is not listed. But if you Google "pcpartpicker EVGA B2", you can find the page for it.

It's there for me when I do it. It's the only 750w semi-mod Bronze for $59 on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.