Cyperpower Unveils Fang Taipan Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Not bad for about $1,800, but for dual GPU configurations everyone with at least a bit of knowledge knows that SLI and Crossfire can cause microstuttering and most games do not support SLI/Crossfire setups.

I'd rather get a single GTX 680(which they offer) but how does going from 2xGTX 670ms to a single GTX 680m signify a $250+ increase? Shouldn't it go down a bit?

Seems kinda of a rip off at this price.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]Not bad for about $1,800, but for dual GPU configurations everyone with at least a bit of knowledge knows that SLI and Crossfire can cause microstuttering and most games do not support SLI/Crossfire setups.I'd rather get a single GTX 680(which they offer) but how does going from 2xGTX 670ms to a single GTX 680m signify a $250+ increase? Shouldn't it go down a bit?Seems kinda of a rip off at this price.[/citation]
Totally agree, but you should also mention that you got this off their site i was confused until i double checked your info. Most pc manufacturers will try to rip you off on hardware if they have the ability to do so Apple isn't the only computer company trying to rip people off. (Apple just happens to be best at it)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Most games don't support CFX/SLI? Tell that to my GTX 660s, GTX 460s, or GTX 260s I've had in SLI at one point or another. Most games that don't support are either old or indie, neither of which I have run into a scenario where one of the cards wouldn't suffice. And when using just one card you can turn on SLI AA and crank up AA to very high settings. As long as you can push enough frames, micro-stutter isn't an issue. I assume a i7 and dual 670m's at 1920x1080 aren't going to struggle too much.[/citation]

There are a few games where there is no FPS improvements, or even FPS drop. I don't remember the names exactly. I suppose you got lucky that your games' developers actually too their time to make sure their stuff is SLI/CF compatible.

[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]Not bad for about $1,800, but for dual GPU configurations everyone with at least a bit of knowledge knows that SLI and Crossfire can cause microstuttering and most games do not support SLI/Crossfire setups.I'd rather get a single GTX 680(which they offer) but how does going from 2xGTX 670ms to a single GTX 680m signify a $250+ increase? Shouldn't it go down a bit?Seems kinda of a rip off at this price.[/citation]

its because of the price of the 680m. compare it to the 7970, whichis only slightly slower than it, and its like 240$ less. the 680m atm is definitely not worth its price because of the gap.

[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Most games don't support CFX/SLI? Tell that to my GTX 660s, GTX 460s, or GTX 260s I've had in SLI at one point or another. Most games that don't support are either old or indie, neither of which I have run into a scenario where one of the cards wouldn't suffice. And when using just one card you can turn on SLI AA and crank up AA to very high settings. As long as you can push enough frames, micro-stutter isn't an issue. I assume a i7 and dual 670m's at 1920x1080 aren't going to struggle too much.[/citation]

Microstuttering isn't caused by not pushing enough frames, its caused by the timing to display the frames. even behemoths like dual 7970's or dual 680s can be affected by microstuttering. the case can be found in some setups. it isn't found in everyone's sli/crossfire, but it still exists nonetheless. some people are also more sensitive to smaller increments of fps change than others.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
What sort of framerates do these gaming laptops turn compared to desktops? Every laptop I've ever had (including 'Extreme' processors) has been crap at gaming... but then they've not had gaming graphics - which I'd imagine makes a big difference.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Don't know why people knock Cyberpower as much as they do. I bought my PC from CyberPowerPC 5 years ago and it still works. I've since upgraded my RAM, video card and hard drive by choice. My original parts probably still work just fine, just a bit on the weak side for what I need. My only problem is that my motherboard has in part gone dead since my purchase, one of the DIMM slots don't work. This might've happened in transport at some point in time when I was moving my own computer.

[citation][nom]d_kuhn[/nom]What sort of framerates do these gaming laptops turn compared to desktops? Every laptop I've ever had (including 'Extreme' processors) has been crap at gaming... but then they've not had gaming graphics - which I'd imagine makes a big difference.[/citation]

using a 7970m or a 680m, the performance is similar to a HD 7870 desktop.

[citation][nom]itchyisvegeta[/nom]90% of people in this world are right handed. Why are touch pads always located more to the left, instead of to the right?[/citation]
They center the touchpad according to the location of the keyboard. So if the keyboard is to the left (leaves room for the 10 keypad - total of 17 keys), than they center it under the keyboard.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]There are a few games where there is no FPS improvements, or even FPS drop. I don't remember the names exactly. I suppose you got lucky that your games' developers actually too their time to make sure their stuff is SLI/CF compatible.[/citation]
Yeah, then you update your driver and it usually fixes the problem. Borderlands 2 for instance, I was using 99% of GPU 1 and 5-10% of GPU 2. nVidia released a new update and viola, even split of usage! It is usually up to the GFX card companies to make support for SLi and nVidia is VERY good about it. One of the reasons why I prefer them over AMD. I have never really noticed micro-stuttering which is weird because my eyes are VERY sensitive to things like screen tearing without v sync on.
[citation][nom]Hasten[/nom]And when using just one card you can turn on SLI AA and crank up AA to very high settings.[/citation]This is another GREAT benefit to adding a second card! On games that don't require much juice I crank the AA up to 32x quality and there is not a jagged line in sight! Also games that support PhysX, you can have the second card be a dedicated processor. Before the update for Borderlands that is what my seconds card was doing. The first Witcher game did not support SLi for a long time and the second card was solely for AA(no PhysX sadly).

xiinc37

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Apparently the mobile gtx680 is based off the desktop 670, while the mobile 670 is roughly equivalent to an underclocked desktop gt 640. I can kinda understand the price difference.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/introducing-the-geforce-gtx-680m-mobile-gpu/

PANZER4

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Man, noviciate really rips you off it doesn't have 680M in it-more than 2 times the performance of the 670M.
I really wish companies would stop rebranding chips as a new generation when the most certainly arn't!!

PANZER4

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
*nvidia
Also, I had a look at the specs again-
GPU. CUDA cores. Core clock Frequency mem frequency mem bus. Bandwidth
GTX 680M 1344 720MHz 1800MHz 256-bit 115.2GB/s
GTX 675M 384. 620MHz 1500MHz. 256-bit 96GB/s
GTX 670M 336 598MHz 1500MHz 192-bit 72GB/s
GTX 660M 384 835MHz 2000MHz. 128-bit 64GB/s
Now, that is ridiculous seperation. You lose nearly a THOUSAND cores in the step down from the 680M
Also, how come the 660M seemingly has more power than the 670 and the 675? Is that down to architecture differences?
Don't ya hate it when companies take so many liberties with the brand name and number?

The 675M and 670M are Fermi chips, they are just rebranded 580M and 570m at higher clockspeeds.

kingthomas

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]The 675M and 670M are Fermi chips, they are just rebranded 580M and 570m at higher clockspeeds.[/citation]

He's right. But NVIDIA just released the 675MX and 670MX. They're now Kepler chips. Don't know about the complete specs but they're definitely better. Unfortunately there are no laptop reviews without those new cards yet, so we'll have to wait about the benchmarks.

That's a pretty nice laptop and if I was rich I'd buy one... but I'm not.
So I will just have to stick to my desktop (for gaming) and mediore Core2Duo laptop (for internet and other not including gaming).

We got the laptop free from my mother-in-law.
I built the desktop for like $500... (and it plays pretty much anything)

anthonyorr

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I rather get the same thing from xoticpc and upgrade it with parts from newegg. Xotic is currently having a fall sale on Sager (Clevo) that let's you save 100 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.