D&DO Signups

I've been following this game since like 2 years ago. It's definitely
not your standard MMORPG. Two things stand out for me and will either
make or break the game for me:
- No exp for killing monsters. I'm really looking forward for this, I
hate camping!
- Action oriented twitch combat. I hate this! If an arrow comes my
way, it should be my character's armor/stats/skills/feats, and not my
own, the factors involved in determining if the arrow hits me or not.

So, I have mixed feelings about it but still looking forward to see it
in action

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:20:17 +0200, Lynley James
<lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:

>Turbine has announced signups for the D&DO alpha
>
>http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=4112005-125945
>
>Lynley

Thanks for the heads up. :)

And what's with all the carrots ?

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-04-12, wolfing1@yahoo.com <wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been following this game since like 2 years ago. It's definitely
> not your standard MMORPG. Two things stand out for me and will either
> make or break the game for me:
> - No exp for killing monsters. I'm really looking forward for this, I
> hate camping!
> - Action oriented twitch combat. I hate this! If an arrow comes my
> way, it should be my character's armor/stats/skills/feats, and not my
> own, the factors involved in determining if the arrow hits me or not.

The twitch part was semi-available in "Asheron's Call 2." As a
ranged character you could fire arrows, and side step arrows
coming to you. I think they eventually fixed it but it made the
missile/ranger class very easy to play.

well, I also consider camping the style of playing where the group
'sets camp' on one spot and the puller goes and pulls to the group,
repeat 1000 times, add a level or two to the group, wake up the people
that fell asleep... boring!
In D&D Online the premise is that you'll always be on the move,
exploring a dungeon, a fortress, a tower, etc. Monsters won't respawn
(unless as part of the dungeon design) and actually you *don't* want
them to respawn.
On the twitchiness, I don't care if it's the Asheron's Call or Neocron
or whatever style, we're talking about D&D online, when I play D&D
pen&paper, it doesn't matter how fast I run around the room where the
group is eating their Doritos, if an orc shoots an arrow at my cleric,
it's his armor/skills/stats/feats that define the outcome, not my
personal running abilities. If they were making 'Quake Online' I
wouldn't care, but it's D&D online we're talking about

wolfing1@yahoo.com writes:

> - No exp for killing monsters. I'm really looking forward for this, I
> hate camping!

Except for Hecklers in Anarchy Online's Shadowlands, most MMORPG
camping is for items not exp though. And they probably will have item
drops in the game. Head of Vecna, anyone? :)

> - Action oriented twitch combat. I hate this! If an arrow comes my
> way, it should be my character's armor/stats/skills/feats, and not my
> own, the factors involved in determining if the arrow hits me or not.

Depends how twitchy it really is. Whether it's the "you might dodge
missiles" stuff of Asheron's Call or "this is a proto-FPS" of Neocron.

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:30:23 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:20:17 +0200, Lynley James
><lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Turbine has announced signups for the D&DO alpha
>>
>>http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=4112005-125945
>>
>>Lynley
>
>Thanks for the heads up. :)

No worries. I'd like to see MMORPG discussion in here around
something other than WoW and EQ2, variety being the spice and all that
;O)

Lynley

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-04-14, Lynley James <lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:

> No worries. I'd like to see MMORPG discussion in here around
> something other than WoW and EQ2, variety being the spice and all that
> ;O)

You'd need to get rid of Bob "wee wee woosh woosh" Perez before
that happens.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:31:19 +0200, Lynley James
<lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:30:23 +0100, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:20:17 +0200, Lynley James
>><lynley.james@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Turbine has announced signups for the D&DO alpha
>>>
>>>http://www.avault.com/news/displaynews.asp?story=4112005-125945
>>>
>>>Lynley
>>
>>Thanks for the heads up. :)
>
>No worries. I'd like to see MMORPG discussion in here around
>something other than WoW and EQ2, variety being the spice and all that
>;O)
>
>Lynley

I hope D&DO turns out well - I'm not terribly hopeful after being
disappointed my so many MMORPGs, but I'd like it to be good.

And I want rogues to be treated well. :)

Mark Morrison wrote:

>I hope D&DO turns out well - I'm not terribly hopeful after being
>disappointed my so many MMORPGs, but I'd like it to be good.
>
>And I want rogues to be treated well. :)

Without pvp it would be an also-ran for me. But hey, that can be good, too.