Question D drive disappeared - not in disk Management

Nkkb258

Prominent
Oct 31, 2021
Hello,
I had a very weird issue happen.
I have a Allied Gaming Stinger PC with a 512gb PCIe NVMe SSD and a B550M Motherboard. Windows 10.
I then purchased a WD Black 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (with heat sink) to go in the motherboards second slot as my D drive.

Everything worked as it normally should....until yesterday.
I uploaded a bunch of photos to my computer from my iphone. (talking like 18,000 pictures here.) I used a normal Iphone to usb port to do the transferring as it has worked in the past. Windows photo makes imports easy so we used that to import the photos to a folder on the D Drive. Now half way through import it stopped for no reason.
Here's where it gets weird:
We imported the rest of the photos in a second go and went to the folder. Many of the first imported photos were corrupted. Okay... so we deleted them to try again.
Went to recycle bin to delete the files from there too.....and it came up with an error message upon trying to delete a couple corrupted picture files from the recycle bin....Then....my D drive stopped working and is not findable.
C drive still in working condition (thankfully).

I tried turning off and on the PC first.
I looked in Disk Management and it doesn't show up. I tried action>rescan disks and still nothing. When I go to device manager there is "Other devices" with a PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller with the yellow alert triangle on it. I tried, scan hardware for changes and update any drivers-not able to. The only thing I did not do was disable it....as I am afraid without an expert opinion I would mess it up more.

I am not against getting a new hard drive if this one is now dead....but, It was a weird issue to cause this to happen and I am not sure what I did wrong.
Is there any hope on saving this hard drive?

Thank you!

ASK THE COMMUNITY