Question D-Lan adapters to reach other electric circuit

SimplyWalksIntoMordor

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
Hello :)

So, I live in a 6 household house. I am waiting for proper internet connection to be built here. Until then, my neighbor agreed to share his line with me. His current router's signal is not strong enough to reach my apartment. So I thought of this solution:
There is a laundry room where all the washing machines from the tenants are places. Each place there has a power plug which is connected to the respective apartment. So, if I put one D-Lan adapter into his apartment and another into the laundry room, another into my apartment and also into the laundry room and then connect the 2 in the laundry room with a normal Lan cable.... could that work?
Alternative is obviously a WLAN repeater but 1st, everything wireless is witchcraft and 2nd I might run into the low/no signal problem again.

So, can anyone tell me if this 4 D-Lan adapter thing can work, at least in theory? :)

cheers :)

That is a interesting concept but I have no idea if it would work.

If you connected 2 powerline units together inside your own house you would get a loop. Not sure if powerline takes any action to prevent loops by shutting down ports or not. You get a loop or the ethernet connection blocked neither of which is what you want in your case.

To even attempt this I would set the 2 powerline pairs on different security keys. This is likely the default option but you have to be very careful when setting them up they do not join the other network. When they are on the same keys they like to form a mesh and I suspect you may still get a loop in that case.

Laundry room tends to not be a very good place for powerline units especially if you also using the outlets for things like washing machines that have large motors in them.

SimplyWalksIntoMordor

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
Hey man, thanks for the quick reply :)
So, this went a bit more technical than I hoped ;)
You're saying, I would make one power loop out of two and that might be not good, simply speaking. I understand that :D I would not know how to:
set the 2 powerline pairs on different security keys.
and I wouldn't like to fiddle with the power lines from my and the other guy's apartment ;)

The two loops are separated already. The laundry plugs are normal plugs and installed for the laundry room. They are on the walls, far away from the ground, so nothing can happen if some water is spilled. Afaik, the D-Lan adapters are sending a high frequency signal through the line, using the power cables only as a medium, not actually using the electricity in the cables and the regular network cable also "just" transfer very low power. I would assume they cannot cause a short circuit and fry all cables in the entire house :p

The main question I am not sure about is, can this in between LAN cable actually transfer the signal from one set of adapters to the other?
I will try it out tomorrow and will write the result here :)

Not to worried about the water it purely the motors in the washing machines interfering with the signals from the powerline units.

There is no danger of electrical connections it is purely a data issue. It more that when the washing machine is running the powerline units make get lots of data errors. Hard to say it may cause no issues but it is recommended you do not put them near motors because it can cause issues. The loop is not electrical. It is called a broadcast storm and is the same things that happens if you connect a ethernet cable between 2 ports on your router or a switch.

Just make sure each pair is completely configured and operational before you connect them. Lets say you wanted to hook up a third unit intentionally to your 2 units say in another outlet in your house. The way it is done is you push a button and they sync. If you would push that button when the networks were connected it may connect to the wrong pair.

SimplyWalksIntoMordor

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016
Ah, now I get it. True, will have an eye on it when the washing machines work^^ But good news, it worked :D I mean, I only get a third of the capacity of the connection but hey, it works like a charm :)
Thanks for the help and hope this helps someone in the future with similar stupid ideas ;)
cheers :)