Question D link Dir-819 traffic control missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Hello, yesterday I bought this router as a replacement for my older ZTE 298. The reason is that I need more QoS functionalities and bandwidth control.

The router model I own is basically the upgraded version of the dir-816 and shares the same hardware as the dir-810l

for some reason it lacks “traffic control”. Before buying the router I made sure it had all the functions I was looking for and I even watch some tutorial. The interface of the tutorials I was watching is identical to mine, some were older models but with identical UI.
I don’t know if the feature was removed with the latest update 1.0.6.

I need traffic control to limit bandwidth on my kids devices on certain occasions.

is there any way to get around this or should I attempt to install the dir-810l firmware that has the feature? (Since the hardware is identical).

I was looking at openwrt and dd wrt and my router is not supported, the 810l is though and one user was able to port the custom firmware on the 819.

Thank you in advance for helping me.

You are venturing into that area that requires lots and lots of research. Third party firmware is tricky even when you have images they say will work.
Pretty much before you try anything be sure you know how to unbrick the device. Some are somewhat easy other people have gone as far as soldering connectors into the route motherboard.

Your best resource to see what hardwaer a router has is the FCC data base. The fccid is almost always printed on the device someplace.

This site has lots of information people collect also.
http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

I suspect the box you have is a dir-816L actually. This site says it uses a completely different brand of cpu than the other routers you list. That means the firmware will definitely not work. Maybe there are other cpu that are closer but you will have to dig.

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
As a side comment be aware if your kids are say 12yrs or older and especially if they are somewhat smart they will quickly learn to bypass what you setup. Only thing that stops them is that good vpn services cost money.
First of all thank you for the reply.
I did some more research after posting on this forum. An user on reddit successfully flashed an older version of ddwrt (2018) on the same model and I found another user on the ddwrt forum who did the same thing. He also uploaded the .img and .bin files.

This gives me more hope at the moment.

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
As long as you know what you are doing and know how to unbrick it. It's a tricky area that you're in and I would start by just flashing the factory version that has the feature you want. That is the safest bet in terms of not bricking it.
I cannot find the factory version with the Traffic Control feature, unfortunately. I think I could try to flash a firmware from a different model but then I’ll be risking to brick the device anyway. Unless I know for sure it won’t brick the device. The dir-615, which is an older model has this feature available.

The dir-615 is not likely compatible but there are more than 20 variations many with different cpu and memory so can't even be sure firmware will run between different boxes that call themselve "615" without know all the letters. I really hate companies that do this.

You really need to get good at the techinfo site if you plan to do this.

This is the link that shows all the dir-615 models.
http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-615_rev_A1

This next link may not work it shows all the routers that use the same cpu as the dir819. Note there maybe be different revisions of the dir819 with different letters so you need to really check this stuff.

I can not directly link it. The cpu I think your router uses is MT7620A. You can get lists of all other router that use the same cpu but it is a database request that is to long to link. It is very important that you also look at the memory and any other chips used to be sure different routers are actually the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.