D link dir615 drops signal

CrazyMiner

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Hi all,

Over the past few months I've noticed that, although my USB adapter picks up a good signal from the router (never less than 65 - 70% signal strength) and stays connected to it I am at times unable to access any websites. It started off happening once or twice a week and could happen for about 5 - 10 minutes at a time but now happens several times a day and can stop me accessing the web even though the USB adapter says that it is still picking up the signal from the router. After a period of time it will just start working again, I don't have to restart the router or anything.

I've tried changing the channel to a few different ones after using a utility to see what my neighbours were using but this hasn't made a difference. I'm using a Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter. It has the N technology so should work pretty well.

Can anyone think of any possible fixes? It is starting to annoy me a bit now as I work from home and keep getting my work interupted. Any advice would be appreciated!

So first, plug directly into the modem and see if that helps any. If the problem doesn't go away, you may want to look into resetting your router settings or at least looking at your router logs (it would be a tab in the router's web page under administration).

If those don't help, you can try updating the firmware (a tab under administration) of the device.