D-Link DWA 182 Unusal but interesting problem.

thedog123123

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I have a DWA-182 rev C1 USB Wifi adapter. Every time I boot the PC up the wifi adapter will connect to the 5GHz wifi but it says there is no internet connection. I know this isn't correct because my laptop/phone both have a good connection to the 5ghz wifi. I can eventually get it to connect after plugging it in and out several times ( and occasionally doing ipconfig releases/renews). I have the best drivers and I have tried different USB ports. I have another older wifi adapter that works fine so I know it isn't related to anything to my PC

-Running windows 10 64 bit.
-Mobo Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 3

One thing that is very weird:

Whenever it connects but can't find the internet, the network properties for the 5ghz network says the frequency is 2.4 (which is not correct). When I do eventually get the adapter to connect it will say that it is the correct 5ghz band. Could the adapter be struggling to receive at 5GHz?

Solution
Try putting the adapter on a USB extension cable so you can place the adapter up higher or otherwise move it around. Just changing the adapter's location by a few feet can make a difference.