D-Link DWA-552 Dropping Signal, but ONLY during heavy DL usage in,why?

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,

I just built a custom computer using a rampage II extreme MB w/ all other goodies.. Thought I was making good decision by "only wanting the best" inside my baby by putting a D-Link wireless-N PCI card (DWA-552, Xtreme-N they call it lol). It works fine 90% of the time, signal always 100% strength. I have usenet, and during heavy downloading or gaming online, after 5-10 mins. it will suddenly drop the connection. In order to restore it, I must go to device mngr. and disable it, then re-enable it, then it fires back up...

I've never seen anything like this before. All latest drivers (even Atheros custom drivers) installed or attempted to use, to no avail. Same symptom each time. It should be worthwhile to note that I have 5 other computers in my household, whom of which all have wireless adapaters inside them, and also which download any file, in it's entirety. This problem is only symptomatic and isolated to the adapter in this computer. I am also using D-link wireless N router, DIR-615 I believe. Running Win7 x64. Tried using Windows "auto" drivers, then un-installed and installed D-link website drivers. Nothing is working, same thing each time download is attempted.

Bascially, I dont think the signal is "dropping" so much as the actual adapter itself is simply "disconnecting" from the actual motherboard under heavy strain. Again, normal browsing it works a charm. It's only when & after downloading begins does this occur. I am keen on returning this item to compusa where I got it but I figured id give it the benefit of the doubt with one last plea for help. I realize 90% of the time problems like this lie with drivers and/or configurations.

Lasty, running Avast! 5.07 Internet Security, same on all other systems so it has nothing to do with firewall. Download/Transfer wouldnt even occur in the first place if it were a firewall issue. Anyone have any idea WT F is up ?

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Sorry I don't mean to add another post to my thread but I dont see the EDIT icon anywhere on this user interface...

I wanted to say basically has any other desktop users made the switch from PCI to USB for their means internet connection? I mean, to me at least it seems a bit cumbersome and quite simply a pain in the rear to go thru all that trouble installing a PCI card when one can simply just plug in a USB stick in the back and receive same signal quality. USB 2.0 is theoretically capable of 480/Mbps, this is far far beyond anyones typical household connection speeds. I know me, personally, have connection speed of consisntant 2MB/second, which roughly translates to 20/Mbits, second... a far cry from what usb 2.0 bandwidth is capable of.

Any thoughts?

G

Some USB wireless adapters have been known to overheat and get flaky.

Try playing a fan on the device and test it then.

G

Sorry, your digression about USB versus PCI misled me. I would keep your posts simple and to the point if you can.

With PCI you might need to worry about resource clashes -- these usually abort the installation but might have more subtle effects.

My advice would be to try a different slot and go through the BIOS screens disabling any ports not in use. Reboot Windows a couple of times to reassign any resources saved.

Obersturmfuhrer

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Sorry, your digression about USB versus PCI misled me. I would keep your posts simple and to the point if you can.

With PCI you might need to worry about resource clashes -- these usually abort the installation but might have more subtle effects.

My advice would be to try a different slot and go through the BIOS screens disabling any ports not in use. Reboot Windows a couple of times to reassign any resources saved.

Good ideas, I will try them. Haven't thought of resource clashes yet, thought computer would sort that stuff all out automatically..

The reason why I embellished my post a bit because I've found when I've kept my posts simple and to the point I get responses like, "Try downloading the latest drivers.." or "...try running a registry cleaner" or something of the sort. I was being detailed as to filter those responses, I guess I just succeeded in confusing everyone lol.