D-Link PC-Card to Netgear router problem

Ok, guys. Got a wierd one for you. First, the background.

I have an older laptop I was conecting to my Linksys wire-less access point
using a D-Link DWL-650 wireless card. I have WEP enabled, and MAC
filtering. Works fine. I got a new laptop with built-in wireless. It
works fine. I gave the laptop and D-link card to a buddy of mine. Based on
a PC_World article, he bought a Netgear WGR613r4 wireless router. Now, his
PC connects to the 'Net fine through a wire. My new laptop connects to the
'Net fine through wireless. However, the D-link won't.

Here is the wierd part, though. Now, the wireless router is set up as full
default, std SSID, WEP disabled, etc. Now, the D-link can SEE the Netgear
router perfectly. But, it can't connect to it. I have quadruple checked
all the settings on the D-link card, but it just won't connect. It is
driving me nuts. What is really confusing is that the D-link see the
Netgear, it just won't connect to it. I select the Netgear in the D-link,
click CONNECT, I get an hourglass, then nothing with no connection.

Could the Netgear router be defective? I also notice that, as I am writing
this, my wireless connection on my laptop is going in an out. Should I try
replacing the Netgear with a D-link router?

Thanks for any help.

Update. Since the wireless connection kept going up and down we exchanged
the Netgear for a Linksys wireless router. SAME PROBLEM!! It can see the
network perfectly, but can't connect. Any ideas??? Again, WEP is disabled,
and MAC filtering is off, so that isn't the problem.