D-Link Powerline Slow Speed Question.

Jun 10, 2018
Hi I have high speed internet but have been using a really old modem for past 8+ years or so that only allows me to achieve around 25mbps up speeds standing next to the router. When I plug the Powerline into another room I get roughly the same speed but nothing close to what my ISP suggest of up to 100MBPS. My query is does my old modem/router affect the D-Link Powerlines ability to achieve higher speeds? Or does the Powerline work only with the electrical circuits of my house and the modem/router specs have nothing to do with the final speeds? If I buy a newer router eg. Netgear Nighthawk will that increase the Powerlines speed or no difference? I have the older PowerLine AV500 btw.
Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan

ISP->router->powerline->PC's

The thing in RED is the limiting factor.

Jun 10, 2018

It's seems like the logical answer thanks. Was just curious if the Powerline bypassed the router's specs and gave me higher speeds but guess it depends on the speed of the router as well not just my ISP's download limit and my power circuit like the instructions suggest on the Powerline description.

USAFRet

Titan

Performance depends on the slowest device in the chain.
In this case, the router.

Jun 10, 2018

It's a modem/router combo. Yeah I got my ISP to hook me up with a new one hopefully will sort itself out. Cant believe I was using this old modem/router on a higher limit plan.