Question D5 AF Post error:: Cpu is running but no display

Mar 25, 2019
Hi All,
My Desktop - Compaq Presario SA4000 - pretty old CPU - is having trouble. I haven't used the system for like 10 years but now i have to retrieve my personal data from the HDD. I tried turning on the CPU, the cpu runs but the monitor shows no signal. I checked with other monitor still the same issue. I cleaned the CPU removed all the dust in the cpu thermal fins, fans , cleaned the ram with soft cloth. Turned on the cpu but still the same thing no signal in the monitor but cpu runs. I got a POST CARD and tried to get what the issue is -
first the error code showed D5 D4 - I checked the 2 sticks of ram one was not working removed and tried to boot with the other 512 mb ram. next time the POSTcard showed D5 AF error. I searched for AF : System boot initialization error and im stuck i dont know what to do now with the AF code as im not getting display in monitor too. i haven't checked on clearing the cmos yet. the cpu is 10 yr old so i think i need to change the cmos battery but i dont no if that will work either..

CPU Configuration:
Intel pentium 4 with cooler master fan,
1gb ddr2 Ram ( 2 sticks 533 RAM/ PC2 4200),
200gb sata 7200rpm hdd,
ATI Radeon X600 PRo DDR 256mb video card the mother board does not have a vga pin in it,

Then i removed the HDD and connected to my laptop thru "3.0 to 2.5” SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable w/ UASP – SATA to USB 3.0 Converter for SSD/HDD" cable. my laptop is a new ProStar NP850E has win 10, The hdd is displayed in the printer & Devices section but the hdd is not displayed in bios , disk manager and disk de-fragmentation sections. Kindly help me how to run the cpu and get the data with out loosing it. There are 2 modes in my laptop bios 1) AHCI which is currently configured,
2) Intel RST Premium. I also did research that if i change from AHCI to Intel RST premium my ssd would crash and i have to re-install my win10 to my laptop.

Laptop Config:
Win 10 - 64 bit,
256mg ssd, 1tb sata HDD.
16gb ddr4 ram,
intel i7-8750h,
Intel Graphics 1gb/ GTX1060 6gb - switchable.

Thanks,
Kevin.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Unfortunately there is no easy fix to your prebuilt's issue since it can be either a PSU fault or a motherboard fault, both of which aren't going to be cheap. Please don't fiddle around with BIOS settings you have no clue over since you can end up rendering your laptop useless as well(Windows 10 doesn't like it when too many things are mishandled). If the HDD is SATA driven, what's stopping you from connecting it to a donor system running windows 7?

Do you have a link to the adapter you got hold of?

Reactions: kevin_Benjamin
Mar 25, 2019
Unfortunately there is no easy fix to your prebuilt's issue since it can be either a PSU fault or a motherboard fault, both of which aren't going to be cheap. Please don't fiddle around with BIOS settings you have no clue over since you can end up rendering your laptop useless as well(Windows 10 doesn't like it when too many things are mishandled). If the HDD is SATA driven, what's stopping you from connecting it to a donor system running windows 7?

Do you have a link to the adapter you got hold of?

I don't have a system running with Win 7, may be i can ask my friends and try it. - thanks for the idea.

Do you have a link to the adapter you got hold of? ------- I don't understand your question, What link to adapter?