D5 or 750 Pump from XSPC?

Syblemz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Hello,

Im going to be building a water cooling loop with a kit from XSPC in a CoolerMaster HAF X case, so I can fit a 3x120mm(360mm) radiator. It is to cool the intel core i7 4790K Devils Canyon CPU. I'd also like it to be as quiet as possible and I have a few questions below:

1. What's better out of the two? The 750 or D5? What are the pros and cons of both? Is one better?

2. What's the difference between the RayStorm and Photon? Is it just the reservoir? Also, are the 2 reservoirs just as good as each other? Is one better? For the HAF X case, should I use a bay or cylindrical type? What would you choose?

3. Whats the difference between all of the RX's, AX's and EX's?

Thanks!

Solution
1. The D5 by a fairly large margin is better.

2. Raystorm is the CPU block, Photon is the reservoir. I suggest going for the Photon kit, its better to have an internally mounted pump than in the 5.25" bays, which is where the normal kit would have you mount it.

RS - Slim, cheap, not the best performer.
RX - Thick, expensive, need good fans to get its best performance
EX - Slim, slightly more expensive and performs a bit better than RS
AX - Thick, more expensive and performs better than RX, needs good fans.
I recommend you go with EX rads, sticking a slim 360mm at the top of a HAF-X is going to take up the top 5.25" bay unless you have something small to go there (fan controller). A thicker one would intrude on the 2nd bay and...
1. The D5 by a fairly large margin is better.

2. Raystorm is the CPU block, Photon is the reservoir. I suggest going for the Photon kit, its better to have an internally mounted pump than in the 5.25" bays, which is where the normal kit would have you mount it.

RS - Slim, cheap, not the best performer.
RX - Thick, expensive, need good fans to get its best performance
EX - Slim, slightly more expensive and performs a bit better than RS
AX - Thick, more expensive and performs better than RX, needs good fans.
I recommend you go with EX rads, sticking a slim 360mm at the top of a HAF-X is going to take up the top 5.25" bay unless you have something small to go there (fan controller). A thicker one would intrude on the 2nd bay and there isnt much clearance from the mobo to begin with.

Check out my build log, I have also water-cooled in a HAF-X.

Solution

Syblemz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

If I went with the AX 3x120mm radiator with photon reservoir, would it fit? Would it take up a 5.25" bay, but leave enough room for a fan controller?

Where would be the best spot to mount the photon inside the HAF X?

Also, Im going to have a fan controller to control speeds of fans, but for LED's in fans and just normal LED strips, I was going to get something like this, do you know anything similar to this? http://www.lamptron.com/product/controllers/fan-atic-5-port/

Thanks

The AX I would guess would obstruct an optical drive, but not a fan controller in the top bay.

Depends on your loop, and more than likely what you plan now isn't going to be what end up happening.

Thats just a fan controller...
Though if your after lighting, I suggest not using LED fans and just getting dedicated lighting equipment. The NZXT Hue is a very good option.