D610 or D7100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madrerik

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
This has been a subject of quite a bit of debate... I know, but I am still undecided as to which one to buy and I would like the input from you guys, so here's the thing:

Currently I "own" (not really own, borrowed from family member for as long as I want) a Nikon D5000 with a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.4-5.6 G VR (DX) and a Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm f/1.4-5.6 G (DX) lenses and I mostly do Night photography (Astrophotography, Cityscapes, etc.), but I am also starting to do street photography and will more than likely (at least for day photography) stick with landscape photography for the most part.

That being said, I am looking for an upgrade so I can finally have a camera of my own. I was looking at the Nikon 610 - Body only ($1,989.00 USD) because of the FX format since I heard and read that it performs quite better than the Nikon D7100 in low-light conditions and has better picture quality at high ISO. Of course doing this upgrade will mean that I might have to consider getting high-quality glass (I think) because lenses like the ones I currently own might not do the work, of they will just not work at all on FX format.

But with all honestly, is it "worth" the ugprade to a D610 rather than the D7100? - if I get the D7100 I can definitely afford a high-quality lense and also benefit from the D7100 crop factor for my landscape (night/day) photography.

Kind of confused here, so far I could see as a viable option to get a D7100 with high-quality glass instead of the D610 which has "better" quailty because of the FX format with low (or medium) quality lenses (like the ones I won- if they work) which in term will mean that I might even be able to benefit from the full-frame quality.

Anything is much appreciated, thanks in advance folks...

Solution
I've always been told and believed that you should get the camera that allows you to afford better lenses. Your DX lenses will work on an FX camera but I believe it will crop them. The 610 will be a better performer overall but it all comes down to what you can spend. DX lenses are crazy expensive. Personally I'd get the D7100 and a nice lens. You will still get excellent image quality in low light and overall.

alexdh01

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
I've always been told and believed that you should get the camera that allows you to afford better lenses. Your DX lenses will work on an FX camera but I believe it will crop them. The 610 will be a better performer overall but it all comes down to what you can spend. DX lenses are crazy expensive. Personally I'd get the D7100 and a nice lens. You will still get excellent image quality in low light and overall.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS