D70 Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here's something I have been wondering about, but neither the manual or Thom
Hogan's ebook has cleared it up for me:

Does the "Optimise Image" menu on the D70 apply ONLY to pictures shot as
JPGs ?

Or do these settings (The various presets and also the custom option) also
make a difference for RAW files ?

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:34:12 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "adm"
<adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>Here's something I have been wondering about, but neither the manual or Thom
>Hogan's ebook has cleared it up for me:
>
>Does the "Optimise Image" menu on the D70 apply ONLY to pictures shot as
>JPGs ?
>
>Or do these settings (The various presets and also the custom option) also
>make a difference for RAW files ?

Don't forget that besides the sensor data the raw also contains all the
camera setting information so you can process the file with all the setting
the camera had as a default. So yes it makes a difference to the file. But
no the sensor data is unaffected, unless you use the noise reduction
feature as far as I know.

http://EdwardGRuf.com

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:34:12 -0000, "adm" <adm1@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>Here's something I have been wondering about, but neither the manual or Thom
>Hogan's ebook has cleared it up for me:
>
>Does the "Optimise Image" menu on the D70 apply ONLY to pictures shot as
>JPGs ?

I *think* when shooting RAW, it stores the setting in the file (which
in turn is used as a default by the RAW importer) and that's it. The
RAW import can be overridden on each import. Haven't tested/proven
this theory though.

This should be easy to prove, a heavily sharpened image contains more
image data, so the file-size would be bigger than a non-sharpened
image. My guess is that the two RAWs would be almost identical in
size, meaning that no sharpening was actually applied to the RAW.

>Or do these settings (The various presets and also the custom option) also
>make a difference for RAW files ?

Well, white-balance for example is just recorded as a preference in
the RAW to be applied (or overridden) at import time. Theoretically,
no matter what your camera WB is set to, the RAW should contain the
same image information. Now, I've seen data that contradicts this
statement, but consider this; white-balance bracketing only creates
one RAW file, which is a dead give away.

--
Owamanga!

Status
Not open for further replies.