ATI AllinWonder X1900 256MBDDR3
2 x 1 GB memory
Antec P-180 case 3x120mm fans
Antec 500 Watt psu
STOCK INTEL COOLER

I DO NOT HAVE THE MACHINE OVERCLOCKED AT ALL YET

Now, I know aftermarket cooling is always the best way
However, at idle my 805 is clocking always above 60c in the BIOS
In Windows it idles at around 65c, I know that the cpu is going to run warmer, but if you check out page 21 of the article, it shows that mine should idle around 53c and reach 78c at full load.

I have heard of some people with 805s having very cool temps when overclocking to just 3.0 ghz with ASUS boards, and it was where I wanted to start out at least.

Now, should I be ridiculed for not having aftermarket cooling?
Or
Is this a case where a mobo cpu combination might be wrong?
Or
Is it probably the motherboard or processor itself that is the problem?

Any constructive help would be greatly appreciated as this monster is at my work taking up space and not in my home, thankyou.

Is this is a situation where I should be ridiculed for

howlermonkey

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Do you really think a Zolman would drop the temp almost 20c?

I really think that the temps may be wrong, but I want to confirm that the temp sensor is wrong before returning the board or buying an aftermarket cooler.

BTW, I have been having some trouble finding a temp sensor in my area. Can you think of any large chain stores (Best Buy, ...) that would have a temp sensor?

Thanks for the help.

amdave

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Sounds like a bad heatsink mount to me... The stock HSF combo should not run that not. The thermal spec for the processor is 64.1 C, and should only exceed that temperature under heavy load. If you do go the way of aftermarket cooling, make sure you're using some sort of thermal compound, be it arctic silver 5 or the stuff that comes with the Aftermarket cooler. When you tighten down your aftermarket cooler, make sure you don't over tighten, because if you bend the board, you lose the flat interface with the proc.

A common mistake among the overly-careful when mounting the stock HSF is that they set the HSF on the processor then pick it up again to line it up better, thinking that they're being careful. However, the thermal interface material that comes on the stock HSF is only good for one contact with the processor, if you pick it up, some sticks on the proc, some on the HSF. When you put it back down, it creates air pockets between the two that will cause your processor to heat up drastically.