D975XBX CPU Upgrade question

cuno32

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Hello, I don't post much on the interwebs but I try to keep up with some computer hardware sites such as this one, and I am looking to do some summer upgrades to my main gaming box, specs of which are:

Intel Pentium D 805 2.66 GHz
Intel D975XBX bad axe rev 304
2GB OCZ platinum ddr2-800 RAM
EVGA 8800gts 640

Running windows xp mce.

So on the plate this summer is possibly an operating system upgrade to some sort of Vista, two more gigs of RAM, 2x 3870s for crossfire, and a CPU upgrade. so my question: What would be the best CPU upgrade option to be paired with this motherboard and to not limit crossfire 3870s? Is there one? I looked up other posts that said that other CPUs work that aren't on the support list, but I need some hand holding before I drop big moneys on something that might not work. Looking to spend about 200 bucks. Thanks in advance for any help provided!

About the CPU i agree change it, butI say keep the 8800GTS 640 , why do u want to change it ? do u have any problems with games? dont ugprade just because something new is out upgrade when you really dont get the performance from what u have

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
I don't think that chipset supports Conroe... I read about complaints and etc. in APC a while ago but look what I dug up: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99298

Disclaimer: Use at own risk... not my fault if you turn that into molted lego...

If your looking to even upgrade with that $200 your looking at OC'ing a Pentium Dual Core and getting a decent 3850-ish card... but that's already over budget. Wait till the new stuff comes out to push the prices down...

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
The BadAxe revision 304 definitely supports all Conroes, you can use a Q6600 on it for example, and that's at a good price point. However the BadAxe 2 doesn't like 45nm CPUs such as the E8400, it will boot but may crash under load, also the multiplier won't do half points, such as the 9.5 needed.

On some MB's the 975 chipset will run not only Conroes but Wolfdales and YorkFields, but it requires the latest Bios and forced overclocking. For instance I'm running a Q9450 on a trusty old P5W-DH, and even though the multiplier is wrong the thing runs above factory clocks and is as stable as can be.

I dont agree on GPU, he has a solid card and there is no need to upgrade it

cuno32

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Thank you all for your speedy replies!

The 8800gts being replaced was really just to have something to hand down to my girlfriend's box. I actually got it from an RMA of a 7950gt, wasn't expecting to get any 8800 back.

I had read that the Q6600 would work, and would definitely be partial to something like that. Still need to wait for my bank account to catch up before I do anything.

As a side note, I have much buyer's remorse for getting the badaxe. In terms of stability it is just fine, but I bought it expensive because I was under the impression that the entire core 2 line would work on it. I suppose that is foolish with Moore's law making tech obsolete so quickly.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

When I was looking to upgrade a couple of years ago it was for me a choice of motherboards between the BadAxe version 1 and the P5W-DH. I preferred the former but it would have been a wait of several days, the Asus board was in stock. I lucked out because even though the P5W-DH is an older board than the BadAxe II it WILL actually support later CPUs than the Intel board. The P5W-DH has a longer term of usability than the Intel boards. Strange.

bargainbadger

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

Are you the "BustedSony" who posted pictures of Realistic cassette deck SCT-3100 and its service manual? I will pay for a copy of the service service manual