D975XBX2 won't post with all 4 memory slots filled, need help.

devjsav

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Hello,

D975XBX2 with latest bios
Q6700
4-1GB Crucial Tracer DDR2-1066
MSI R5870 Lightning II
2-Corsair P128 SSD Raid-0
Sparkle 1250W PSU

Decided to do a fresh Win7 install on the new SSDs I just got. During the "installing update" stage of Win7, a loud clicking noise comes from my PC with an Win7 error message popping up. Win7 is trying to repair the installation. I wait an hour, seems to be stuck. I reboot the PC. PC boots up, but won't post, black screen on the monitor, soft clicking sound every 15-20 secs from motherboard. Turn power off, use jumper to reset the bios. Same as before, boot, but no post, with clicking noise. Disconnected all drives. Only mobo, cpu, gpu card and memory. No change. Used another PSU, no change. Tested with 1 stick of memory, it posts, click is gone, tested in each slot, it posts. Did this with the other 3 sticks in each slot, it posts. Slowly did 2 sticks, than 3, it posts. Add the 4th stick, no post and clicking noise returns. Tried all memory slot combinations. 3 sticks, post, 4, no post. I go into bios, memory timing is now stuck on automatic. Even if I select other timings, it's always resets itself as soon as I exit bios. Auto mem timings are "Default, 800,5-5-5-18, 1.84 volts." Reflashed mobo bios, mem timings still stuck. I go ahead install Win7, so I can seek some help on forums. Is it a bad memory controller or are the EPP chips fried on the 4 sticks? Don't have another ddr2 mobo to check the mem in or other ddr2 sticks to check the D975XBX2. Didn't want to spend anymore on parts that I can't port over to the new setup. Now using 3 sticks, hoping advice will return me back to 4 sticks. Since I can't access mem timings, stuck at CPU 3GHz instead of 3.5GHz. Thank you in advance.

devjsav

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010

Thanks for the reply.

DDR2 = http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=BL2KIT12864AL106A

Win7 Ultimate 64 full retail. No matter which 3 of the 4 sticks I pick on 3 of the 4 mem slots I use. It posts. But if all 4 slots are populated. PC boots, clicking noise starts up, and just hangs, the LEDS on mem sticks do flash around, but it just won't post. Also another thing that's happened from the incident is now I can't adjust my memory timings in BIOS. I've reflashed BIOS from latest to previous back to latest, no help, as well as CMOS reset. Memory timings will auto reset back to default, once I exit BIOS. Prior to this, my mobo, cpu, memory setup has been working fine for 3 years. Cpu at 3.5GHz, mem timings 333/667, 5-5-5-15 1.84 volts in BIOS. Before I was able to select "Profile 1" in memory timings, now I can only select "Automatic or Manual-User Defined". All onboard add ons like audio, firewire, 2nd raid controller, serial port, printer port are disabled. CPU at stock or OC, no difference on the situation. PC will boot but won't post with all 4 mem slots occupied. I'm guessing it's the memory controller or EPP chip on the mem. I've already tested with another PSU and gpu card, no help. Been reluctant to upgrade mobo, cpu, mem setup, because so far it does what I want. Waiting on the successor of 1366 or desktop octocores before I upgrade mobo, cpu, mem setup. Other info that maybe a factor or not is, R5870, 1250W PSU, 2-SSDs are only 6 weeks old. Thanks for any help offered.

The DDR2 was verified Tested - http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=D975XBX2

Verify in BIOS 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V - change the voltage per spec.

R/O bad GPU - pull the MSI R5870 Lightning II & restart {yeah I know you won't see anything}
Just read "I've already tested with another PSU and gpu card" - but try it anyway.

Then reinstall GPU on a different PCIe, create a bootable CD/DVD {D/L ISO/zip} - http://www.memtest.org/ + run for 1-2 hours {circumvents OS}.

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
You need to manually set you memory timings in your bios.
Start with two sticks of ram and boot into your bios and manually set you ram specs.
Save & Exit - turn off your pc and then add the other two.
Note: you may need to increase your ram voltage by one or two increments.

devjsav

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010

Mem seems to be stuck in 5-5-5-18@1.84V 266/800. Changing it to 5-5-5-15@2.0V then F10 makes no difference, after reboot it goes back to 5-5-5-18@1.84. This was one of the 1st things I've tried. It's also #2 of the 2 problems I'm having.

1st, I can no longer run all 4 sticks like I have been doing the pass 2 1/2 years.

2nd I can no longer set the mem timings in BIOS. For some reason I can't make it stick at the setting I want. All other BIOS settings are unaffected, if I make a change, F10, reboot, changes stay set. Only mem timings in BIOS won't stay set.

Took out the gpu card while are 4 slots are populated. Still the same thing, just hangs, won't reach post.

Did Memtest on each stick on each slot for 16+ passes for a total 64+ passes. Each stick checks out fine, no errors found. Not sure if that qualifies as okay, read around that 12-24hr test is needed. Each stick has gone through 8+ hrs of Memtest.

devjsav

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010

Tried what you suggested, still a no go on all 4 slots. Even tried the 2 slots, bios change, F10, exit, power off, took out cmos battery, inserted the other 2 sticks, reinsert battery, power up. No change.

Thanks for suggesting.

devjsav

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Been reading around, some peeps are having issues with all 4 slots being filled, but 3 is okay. But they have been having that issue since day 1. My board has been running 4 sticks fine since day 1. After the installation crash, 4 sticks is a no go & I can't set timings in BIOS that will stick. I've already ordered another set of 4 sticks. Really hoping it's just bad memory regardless of what Memtest says. I'll update once the sticks arrive.

Thanks for replying so far.

If you left out the fact that the rig had been running, my first thought would have been mix-match memory. Even "supposedly" matching DDR / look carefully at yours {see "JEEEZZ!!"} http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-280059_30_50.html

1. Can Memtest boot with a 4 DDR's installed?

2. I know your boot is RAID 0 {OS + Apps} , but I also assume you have a HDD {Data} - if so shutdown and simply disconnect the HDD and boot - what happens?

3. {Replace} CMOS battery.

4. {long-shot} Less than breadboarding, unscrew all of the MOBO mounting screws and pull away just enough so it ~ dangles and reboot.

PITA {pain in the a--} steps:
5. Re-seat the CPU, inspect carefully

6. Clear CMOS, Delete RAID {back-up 1ST!!!}, and rebuild array from scratch, reinstall OS only and minimum/required drivers (e.g. for now don't install: Intel RAID management software, BIOS invading utilities, etc}

7. Full breadboard.

FAILURE: A. Bad MOBO, B. Bad CPU - you'd need a "compatible" CPU to R/O.

If you want me to explain "why" for any of the above = post.

Good Luck!

devjsav

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Already mentioned that the PC runs, but only with 3 sticks in the startup topic. After the installation crash, and finding out I can post with up to 3 sticks. I reset the raid, installed Win7, came to forums seeking help in getting the 4 stick setup to work again. Since the PC is running, it's not CPU issue. Have not tried unscrewing the mobo yet, doubt something is shorting that area of the board, I'll try it anyway. I'm only running a 2-SSD raid 0 setup, there are no other hard drives connected internally or external. Marvell raid is disable, the 2 SSDs are on SATA 1&2, 2 optical drives on 3&4, that's it for SATA for this generation of ICH. Only other device connected is a floppy drive. Already ruled out the 3 connected fans, unplugged them from the mobo and ran them off the molex, no change with 4 sticks installed.

Did Memtest with 1 stick setup, 2 stick setup, 3 stick setup, in various slot combinations, okay. But couldn't get Memtest to run with 4 sticks installed. With 4 sticks, on boot up, the floppy is accessed or it's simply powering up, the activity led on it flashes for about 2 secs, which has the Memtest program, but the program is not being run. Even if there's no output to screen when Memtest runs, the Tracer sticks flash like crazy. With 4 sticks installed nothing is happening, the leds on the memory are doing the same thing they do when it doesn't reach post.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Already checked the sticks. It's not mismatched, all are 1 GB 1066, bought them at the same time. Programs like CPU-Z and others all report that all the sticks when I did have a 4 stick working setup were the same. Same EPP profiles, voltages, speeds, etc. Only difference was the serial #s.

devjsav

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Jaquith, already cleared CMOS at least 20 times after the crash. As to software, never did ever use Intel RAID software, I let Win7 handle it. Only program I know that controls BIOS or voltages I have installed is Catalyst for the R5870, don't even have Afterburner installed.

Suggests a couple of things: 1. BAD RAID, 2. MOBO SATA Controller failure.

Suggests: Possible short

Doesn't R/O anything.
Suggests: BAD DRAM Voltage, CPU bent pin, Different Mfg run of DDR {see ~ link}

Suggests: Possible short, and possible BAD CMOS battery

Memtest circumvents OS & SSD+HDD; therefore #6 is not needed. However, make a bootable CD/DVD vs using the FDD.

No, clearing CMOS alone is not what I said, "6. Clear CMOS, Delete RAID {back-up 1ST!!!}, and rebuild array from scratch, reinstall OS only and minimum/required drivers (e.g. for now don't install: Intel RAID management software, BIOS invading utilities, etc}"
Reasons: Corrupted RAID - can cause all sorts of oddball behavior {BSOD/Shutdowns/Post issues/etc}, and it's #6 on the sequenced list. I am not concerned about the CMOS, what I am is a clean RAID.

Therefore, same sequence just skip #6. Keep in mind I appreciate the detail, but too see the frantic 1/2 rulling-out and circles you've been going in. This, that, half of this + that = a lot to decipher. {plus it was over 1 full day before you posted back; re-reading in extreme detail is not "fun" ... plus it was 60-100+ posts responses ago. If we all could be perfect.

Please post the following {resource Monitor}:
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

devjsav

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
After the installation crash, when I figured I could run the PC with up to 3 sticks. I rebuilt the array. The array is clean and has yet to have any issues. All drives on SATA channels off ICH seem to be working fine, have never tried the Marvell or ESATA onboard yet though.

Not sure how to fix a short. Only method I know how to alter dram voltage is through the BIOS. Since those settings don't seem to stick. Checked the cpu for physical damage, seems okay. Until you suggested I reseat it, I haven't touched it in 1.5 years since installing the Noctua HSF. Win7 is stable, all other processes prior to Win7 startup seem normal. (This is the PC running with 3 sticks.)

I ran Memtest off the optical drive, no errors. When I ran Memtest off the floppy prior to your suggestion, no sata devices were connected since I wanted to R/O the sata channels. All Dimm slots are okay, regardless of which I choose to use, it's recognised and works. Only problem still is when all 4 slots are full. With all 4 slots full can't get PC to post or Memtest to run.

Already tried 3 different CMOS batteries, still the same thing with all 4 slots full.

I haven't tried #6, don't want to re-rebuild the array and reinstall Win7. Problems are not Windows related, the 4 sticks issue & BIOS issue is prior to Windows startup, also occurs whether I have a devices on SATA connected or not.

Here's the screen shot you wanted.
Capture.png

Hope it helps. The clicking sound when all 4 sticks are in, is a beep code error, but I haven't come across any info that describes what this error is. New sticks are on the way, at least they can R/O if it's the sticks or not that's causing the issues.

Thanks for the replies & suggestions.

^ It is not that I am daft, clearly this is a bizarre and unique problem; requiring unique steps. I am convinced to R/O: BIOS, DDR {themselves}, general environment is OK, most H/W {except CPU, and MOBO}.

The simplest test for possible MOBO short is to remove all of the mounting screws, dangle & restart; yes even 1.5 year later can happen {re-seating of GPU/DDR/etc shift MOBO}.

//4. {long-shot} Less than breadboarding, unscrew all of the MOBO mounting screws and pull away just enough so it ~ dangles and reboot. //7. Full breadboard.

Otherwise: FAILURE: A. Bad MOBO, B. Bad CPU - you'd need a "compatible" CPU to R/O. However, since the BIOS issue I'd lean towards MOBO.

DDR - there's a huge difference between failure to recognize & post failure.

That's about all I got.

Good Luck - Let me know!