DaClan Review: Thermal Interface Shootout

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Since i forgot to say it on the blog: Thanks for the review!

The only problem is that my 12 gram tube of AS5 is useless now, X23 is the best of the best. It still baffles me how X23 isnt more well known...

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Its only 11:12 where i am, and im going to be up for the next 3 days anyway. Im listening to every episode of my favorite podcast from start to finish, nonstop. 60 episodes. 3 days. No sleep. Will i survive? I hope i do, i didnt make it the first time (back in late june), and i only had to stay up for 1.7 days that time. If i fail this time podcast forum disgrace will follow.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Masscool looks... 'cool'. Can't get it in AUS, so no benefit. I CAN get peanut butter, but you neglected to test it...

Great review. I'll patiently await the other results.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Where can I get this Shin Etsu thermal paste? I wanna try it over my AS5.

And thanks guys for the time consuming efforts. No doubt this is one trustworthy review.

:)

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Thanks for the hard work Ninja. I just want everyone to know that DaClan has a few more reviews coming over the next few months, so stay tuned.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Masscool looks... 'cool'. Can't get it in AUS, so no benefit. I CAN get peanut butter, but you neglected to test it...

I have tried the peanut butter (Skippy) and it worked but I'm sure not for a long term use. Anyways, it has acceptable temps, AS5 got 30-32c idle w/ 37c full load and peanut butter got 38c w/ 45c full load and smells really yummy at the same time. Almost tempted the stupid cat to go inside the case. By the ways the system I test is 840 smithfield on water cooling.

I almost tried the jelly, since I love peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich. But the jelly has water and might drip down to my video cards when cpu would be at full use. So that got aborted.

Anyways, I'm looking for this Shi Etsu and hopefully will give my better results.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I have tried the peanut butter (Skippy) and it worked but I'm sure not for a long term use. Anyways, it has acceptable temps, AS5 got 30-32c idle w/ 37c full load and peanut butter got 38c w/ 45c full load and smells really yummy at the same time. Almost tempted the stupid cat to go inside the case. By the ways the system I test is 840 smithfield on water cooling.

I almost tried the jelly, since I love peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich. But the jelly has water and might drip down to my video cards when cpu would be at full use. So that got aborted.

Anyways, I'm looking for this Shi Etsu and hopefully will give my better results.

I am also now looking for this wonder HS compound... But DaSickNinja promised a review that included peanut butter. Well sort-of. :wink:

one idea for the review.

good job by the way!

my only idea is maybe putting down the case fan numbers and configurations as well as the cpu HSF. and also documenting the speads the proc and case fans were running at to achieve the temps posted
I did the tests open air with th motherboard to in a case. Fan speed was set to max constant.

@CompuTronix
I have my methods.. for one, having multiple stock coolers helps quite a lot.

MikeGR7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
Thanks Ninja! I must choose from AS5, artic ceramique and Coolaboratory Liquid Pro. The others are not available where i live. :( I think i'll go with Coolaboratory Liquid Pro and be sust fine .

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004

What about Vegemite? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Can they get it in the U.S.A.?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Ive actually never had Vegemite, and ive always wanted to try it. Im sure i can find it around here in san francisco, and i guess i could buy a P4 805 or P4 631 to see how high i can oc it with Vegemite before the cpu just burns up and dies. Or i just chicken out and decide its had enough.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Since i forgot to say it on the blog: Thanks for the review!

The only problem is that my 12 gram tube of AS5 is useless now, X23 is the best of the best. It still baffles me how X23 isnt more well known...

I'm surprised as any how Shin-Etsu isn't more popular among enthusiasts. I even commented on another post the other day how I used it changing from stock cooling to my new Zalman 9500 for my P4. I not only dropped 10C+ from idle and load temps on my cpu but also saw about a 3-4C drop from the intel paste that came with my cpu.

Its awesome stuff. As for where to get it, eh its something I haven't had to worry about yet, one of our outside vendors where I work gives me a free syringe of it about every 1-3 weeks. I have about 20 syringes of the sweet stuff now :) And each syringe has enough applications for probably 6-8 cpus/gpus easily. I'm set for life practically. :)

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Good review. Glad you included the Shin-Etsu, been my fave paste for quite a while, plus I get it free lol. I was thinking of trying the Coollaboratory liquid pro. Had heard great things about it but I see now that my choice of Shin-Etsu will remain for the time being as my main paste.

Concise and to the point. Great.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Shin-Etsu X23-7762 and G751 are not the same stuff. At least according to this old XtremeSystems forum post. The G751 is thicker and appears to work better on rough and non-lapped surfaces, whereas the X23-7762 works extremely well on smooth and lapped surfaces. They also have a link to a handy guide on a method of applying the G751 on the amdforums as well as some tips on applying the X23-7762 using some of the G751 methods.

Apparently the user GBR sells X23-7762 to users on the amdforums and XtremeSystems forums. You can also buy it from CrazyPC for $12 landed. It's available in the UK from Chillblast for £6.99 inc. VAT.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
DAMN! I already put my order in for the G751, and the credit card thing has already gone through, so i cant change the order. Eh, screw it, ill just beat the shit out of the base of my tuniq tower 120.

TRENDING THREADS