DaClan Review: Thermal Interface Shootout

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Ive actually never had Vegemite, and ive always wanted to try it. Im sure i can find it around here in san francisco, and i guess i could buy a P4 805 or P4 631 to see how high i can oc it with Vegemite before the cpu just burns up and dies. Or i just chicken out and decide its had enough.
Just throw it on nice & thick :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: [/jk'n]

Apply it like thermal paste, nice and thin. It's potent stuff. :lol:

As for testing, get an old secondhand celery and fry that sucker :lol: :twisted:

Possibly, might be a bit hard to find though. Same with Marmite. (personally I don't like either... Too salty)
I remember the fake stories about the US govt. banning it. :lol:
I only like it in small occasional dose's myself.

xaat_kil

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Congrats on a job well done (no-one is paying you, so I don't know what to call it, for sure).
DaClan-It's like having those elves helping santa here.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
damn just checked and new egg is out of stock :cry:

oh well ill get some later.

i lost my as5 and have been using the white stuff.
but i will try some of the masscool shitzu paste.
as soon as i can get it.

sailer

Splendid
Masscool looks... 'cool'. Can't get it in AUS, so no benefit. I CAN get peanut butter, but you neglected to test it...

Peanut butter doesn't work well in my estimation. It starts to heat and then I get sudden cravings for a P&J sandwithch.

Much thanks to everyone that has given us support and we encourage everyone to drop in and comment on the issue, especially seeing that AS5 is the default TIM that everyone recommends. And if you are wondeirng why most of us aren't here, check the blog....

Me, though, I'll still be around. I can't play CS:S tonight cause double majoring is a biatch.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Much thanks to everyone that has given us support and we encourage everyone to drop in and comment on the issue, especially seeing that AS5 is the default TIM that everyone recommends. And if you are wondeirng why most of us aren't here, check the blog....

Me, though, I'll still be around. I can't play CS:S tonight cause double majoring is a biatch.

im downloading cs.s now but it is slow going. :cry:

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I think this review caused the G751 to go out of stock, they where in stock this morning, and all of last night, and now there out of stock.

sailer

Splendid

All of you did a really good job with this. I learned more than I expected. I'm not going to pop off the heatsink right away and replace the Artic Silver 5, but I know what to buy the next time and what not to waste money on. You saved a lot of trial and error for me and everyone who bothers to read your research.

All of you did a really good job with this. I learned more than I expected. I'm not going to pop off the heatsink right away and replace the Artic Silver 5, but I know what to buy the next time and what not to waste money on. You saved a lot of trial and error for me and everyone who bothers to read your research.
Thats the point of our work. Our motto is "We test the crap so you don't have to"

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
I'm confused... I've never seen AS Ceramique out perform AS5... you did allow for the week long burn in right?
... Yes. I'm deadly sure.

Well I can believe that I just really wish I knew why some reviews have AS5 beating it.... doesn't make a ton of sense to me... like here (the first link that reviewed as5 and ceramique I could google)... any clues as to what causes these variations?

They used a different cooler than we did, and there could be other variables too, but I cross referenced the results with a respected source, and he confirms each result as what he expected. And just to let you know, those results are averages, meaning we had AS-C consistently beating the AS-5

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Argh... so then for me to ever really know what will do best on my system i'd have to find a review where they used my heatsink.. well if I was going to be picky at least.... it just sucks I ordered a tube of AS5 :(

but it did arrive in less than 24 hours... I wish that counted for something

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Argh... so then for me to ever really know what will do best on my system i'd have to find a review where they used my heatsink.. well if I was going to be picky at least.... it just sucks I ordered a tube of AS5 :(

but it did arrive in less than 24 hours... I wish that counted for something

as5 is good paste.
its just not the best out there.

Its not a totally bad paste. It just doesn't deserve all the hype that it gets. Most of the time people compare it to the stock TIM and then conclude that since it pwns the Intel TIM, it must pwn every other TIM out there, if they know about any other TIM. Most of the serious overclockers I know don't even bother with AS5 or goops similar and only use silicon grease.