DaClan Review: Thermal Interface Shootout

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
but wait, didnt dasickninja say he used a plastic knife to spread it, and wont using the rice grain technique make air pockets, and screw up the conectivity????

yeah, whatever, just tell me the pros/cons of dif techniques...

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Anyone else not finding the Masscool Shin-Etsu x23 anywhere? too bad you rated this stuff top of the line but i can't even find it! the egg says its been deactivated, what gives?!

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
3 of those are not in USD, 1 is out of stock and the other 2 don't exactly look like promising reputable sites. no offense to your effort but its kind of disappointing you can't find this stuff on ZZF, newegg or another more well know site.

nevertheless the review was awesome and i appreciate the info. any chance there will be more compounds included in a later update, cause there are still many more out there that could be promising...

I didn't find mine on Newegg. I had to search for the stuff. If you want good overclocking parts, don't always expect to just have everything smack in your face. And also, not every Tom's user is in the US. And every site on there is reputable. I've checked.

G

Yeah I also want to congratulate you Ninja, nice work, looks like I will ditch my Zalman Nail polisher stuff, I could use the extra 2 degree to add a bit of Vcore myself, I am exactly where I want to be temp wise but not clock wise, so thanks for the hard work!

You guys freakin play CS:S, I just insalled steam on my vista install gotta gimme the server you play on =), haven't played in a whle but should come abck fast =Þ

Once again good joob ninja!

diashto

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I'm not sure if this is the same stuff, but I get issued a syringe of Shin-Etsu paste with every desktop motherboard i replace (I'm a Qualxserv (Dell Contract) technician).. The syringes have the blue caps, so i assume they're the 751, but the syringes are blue, not clear.

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Excellent work.

Thanks! It would be cool if you would post the raw data, so we could calculate standard deviations and do other such calculations.

10 runs each.
Is that
10x applying compound, doing one run, removing compound, or
1x applying compound, 10x run, 1x removing compound.
The reason I'm asking is that I've long suspected that the application-to-application variability in layer thickness, etc, may make as big a difference as the compound choice. It's hard to get an idea of the relative contributions of the two factors with just a single application of compound.

The environmental conditions were listed in the original post
Sorry, I should have been more detailed. I noticed in the 24 hour runs that the temps in all cases seemed to be almost cyclical, with minimums near the beginning, peaks a bit after halfway, then dropping again. My guess would be that these are single runs (doing 10 of each would have you still nowhere near done!); could the cyclical temps be due to variations in ambient temp over the course of a day (cooler at night, warmer in the daytime)? If so, were the 10x "main" runs done at the same time of the day to minimize this effect?

Thanks!
(As you can see, I get into experimental design!)

I would like to echo most of what was said by Mondoman.

Perhaps the peaks appearing at ~16-18 hours into each run are related to the program--Prime95--and the setting being used to stress.

It seems likely to me that the different sized FFT's would cause different heat loads.

I would almost bet on it in fact.

Perhaps it is worth investigating further, though not to such an extent as the current review.

Again, very well done sir.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
They do cause different heat loads. I graphed my temps over 24 hours and there were a few peaks of 31C load while usual full load is 27C.

Also, the option that says "Maximum heat and power consumption" gives me the highest load I can achieve with my windows closed (32C) at about 1 hour 15 minutes on a D805 @ 4.1. Probably get to that point in about 3 minutes on the Core 2 :p You get the idea though...

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Can they get it in the U.S.A.?

Last time I read a Ralph mag it had a story on how USA banned Vegemite from comming through quarintine into the country, I think it was because of added folate or folate levels or something like that. No vegemite? sucks to be you guys :(

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
3 of those are not in USD, 1 is out of stock and the other 2 don't exactly look like promising reputable sites. no offense to your effort but its kind of disappointing you can't find this stuff on ZZF, newegg or another more well know site.

nevertheless the review was awesome and i appreciate the info. any chance there will be more compounds included in a later update, cause there are still many more out there that could be promising...

Crazy pc is reliable, thats where i'd get it from.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Got an email from my University that I have a package waiting for me, which is my Razer Copperhead 8) Plan on playing some CS tonight, the server is 24/7 now? I will check it out. Where is Dario?