DaClan Review: Thermal Interface Shootout

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lionhardt

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
lolz, wait wtf, your telling me you guys are ONLY reaching lvl 60?

c'mon.

my fat nerdy PoS friend is almsot at 70...
hes gonna beat you...
like i said, hes a fat PoS...

oh and btw, do airbubbles in thermal compunds mean anything as long as the cooler is fastened on to the CPU?
would they only detriment it a few degrees or a lot?

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I've had the game less than a month...

I also go to college, spend weekends at my girlfriend's house, workout a couple hours per day, play baseball, hang out with friends...

Air bubbles can affect the performance greatly. Basically if the bubble is big enough it would be enough to cause thermal shutdowns of the PC. Try to avoid air bubbles :p

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, minimizing air bubbles is why Arctic Silver changed their installation instructions to the "grain of rice (not spread out), then squish by installing hsf" method.

Sad fact to drop on you. And by the way.. your vote for the president means nothing. The electoral college can vote however they damn well please, disregarding popular opinion.

But back to cooling stuff..

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
I remember some tests with AS5 & ASC.

The AS5 was good for normal heat sinks (not lapped), it is a coarse particle paste better for filling in the surface pits.
The ASC was good for mirror finish heat sinks, it is a fine particle paste.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
For the next thermal paste review (if there is going to be one...) you should try out different stuff, like toothpaste, vegemite, silicon caulking, hell, maybe even super glue! Along with the pastes, i would like to see how super glue would perform.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I keep hearing people say that, and I think it is because theoretically it makes some sense. Other than that I haven't visually seen any testing done to prove it though...

If anyone can dig that up I would be happy.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
@ apt403, Actually that thermal glue might be interesting, to bad it's permanent. :twisted:

@ tool_462, I think it was Atomic magazine (Australian Mag.) that did the test that I saw.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Where can I get this Shin Etsu thermal paste? I wanna try it over my AS5.

And thanks guys for the time consuming efforts. No doubt this is one trustworthy review.

:)
Hi, how much better is AS5 over plain thermal grease? Let me start with AS5 before I get fancy.
Thanks!

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Where can I get this Shin Etsu thermal paste? I wanna try it over my AS5.

And thanks guys for the time consuming efforts. No doubt this is one trustworthy review.

:)
Hi, how much better is AS5 over plain thermal grease? Let me start with AS5 before I get fancy.
Thanks!

GuyScharf

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
I've read favorable comments about Arctic Cooling MX-1 and its being superior to AS5. Does anyone have any idea how it compares to the ones reviewed here?

Guy

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
When I look for Shin-Estu on Newegg, I get this message -> "We apologize for the inconvenience, but the item you are looking for has been deactivated" :(