Question Dad's Computer Stuck in Boot Loop

Mar 10, 2019
So my dad had trouble getting Origin (game launcher service for Battlefield games) to work so he reinstalled it and then updated graphics card drivers for his nvidia card. He successfully logged into Origin after that, installed battlefield, and was able to play for a while until his entire computer crashed.

Now when booting the windows introductory music sounds but there is not picture, the monitor cycles in the following sequence: a blank black -> blinks to a blank screen with VGA in the top right -> blank screen -> blinks to a screen with HDMI in the top right -> blank screen -> blinks to a screen with DVI in the top right, it repeats this sequece several times before it gets to the windows logo but the screen is obscured by horizontal white lines layered over the screen.

We were able to get a screen with options like Restore Point, Repair, etcetera but the Restore Point asked us to log in and upon the attempt the password always failed. For the Repair System option it just seems to try to boot again like we never chose the Repair option before restarting at all. Upon booting ion Safe Mode we get to the log in screen but again are not able to log in to the account with the password in order to get to the desk top. The horizontal white lines are still present in the menu for restore point and repair and the log in screen and we observed that moving the mouse erases the white lines to a point but once you erase enough of the white lines more start to appear again.

Anyone know what to do to fix this?

Mar 10, 2019
System specs plz.

Hes not biting on that request. He doesn't know and doesn't think you need that information or something. He doesn't think its a hardware issue, hes convinced its a software issue. He says he "just wants to know how to get into command prompt without a log in password for windows". Thanks for the quick response though I at least appreciate it.

Prominent
Mar 13, 2018
Maybe if you asked for specific parts instead of just everything he might be more receptive. Asking him for everything seems to be overwhelming for him, hes an old guy and doesn't really know his stuff.
You can go through the settings when booting, the same ones with restore point and such on the bluescreen.
If you continue through them into the "advanced" options and such, you can go to a mode where you can boot with safe mode or with a command prompt.

Mar 10, 2019
You can go through the settings when booting, the same ones with restore point and such on the bluescreen.
If you continue through them into the "advanced" options and such, you can go to a mode where you can boot with safe mode or with a command prompt.

We're going to give it a shot . .

Mar 10, 2019
ok it takes a lot to insult me lol;) Who is doing the actual work on the computer? (if that's safe to ask)

Well I'm on my computer trying to find help, my dad is being patient at the moment and will let me do what I want with his computer when I get a solution but hes too frustrated to be bothered with in depth questions like all of his system specs, then he just gets angry and reluctant.

Mar 10, 2019

We tried it and it brings us to the log in screen to access his desktop and his password isn't working. I think its linked into his outlook account though and he can log into outlook on his phone fine but for some reason it just keeps saying his password is incorrect when he tries to log in to his computer.

Prominent
Mar 13, 2018
We tried it and it brings us to the log in screen to access his desktop and his password isn't working. I think its linked into his outlook account though and he can log into outlook on his phone fine but for some reason it just keeps saying his password is incorrect when he tries to log in to his computer.
Your computer password may be different in a safe boot/command boot mode than it is for regular windows. I use a PIN for my windows account but my microsoft password is required for safe mode and such. As I said, I do believe theres a way to access command prompt by itself as a full, dedicated window in the boot settings, because I've done SFC checks from there before.

Mar 10, 2019
Your computer password may be different in a safe boot/command boot mode than it is for regular windows. I use a PIN for my windows account but my microsoft password is required for safe mode and such. As I said, I do believe theres a way to access command prompt by itself as a full, dedicated window in the boot settings, because I've done SFC checks from there before.

I'm pretty sure my dad knows his password and its just something is messed up. We can't seem to find anything in the boot menu or the BIOS that will let us boot with command prompt without having to log in to windows. Suposedly thats the goal my dad has.

Prominent
Mar 13, 2018
I'm pretty sure my dad knows his password and its just something is messed up. We can't seem to find anything in the boot menu or the BIOS that will let us boot with command prompt without having to log in to windows. Suposedly thats the goal my dad has.
It's not in the BIOS. It's in the same blue screen you receive when your PC boot cycles. The one with restore or restart normally etc. There is an option that is literally called "command prompt".
xtwbo_top.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.gSv7F5c7CY.png

Mar 10, 2019
It's not in the BIOS. It's in the same blue screen you receive when your PC boot cycles. The one with restore or restart normally etc. There is an option that is literally called "command prompt".
xtwbo_top.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.gSv7F5c7CY.png

That command prompt option also requires a log in and upon attempting to log in there it still says password is not correct just like if he were trying to log into the desktop.

Prominent
Mar 13, 2018
That command prompt option also requires a log in and upon attempting to log in there it still says password is not correct just like if he were trying to log into the desktop.
The account he is trying to sign into is not the account associated with the Windows user. As I said before, my account has a PIN instead and whenever I've tried logging into safe boot, I never can as it doesn't accept the password. He needs to try and find out what account it is that is tied to the system, as it is clearly not the one he has the password for. If it was, it would work.

TRENDING THREADS