Dad's old XP PC won't connect to my modem or router, how do I get this set up?

idontknowhowtotech

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I set up the modem and account and everything with my laptop - a windows 7. It connects wirelessly. My Vista (which sucks) connects wirelessly. My brother's windows 7 connects wirelessly. Dad's other PC (also an XP) connected by cable (I think it was an ethernet cord or something, I'm really bad with terms and someone else had set it up) however, dad dug up a seemingly ancient looking XP and we decided to try and connect the thing. The instructions are infuriatingly confusing and I tried every single method on the list and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. EVERYTHING ELSE did just fine, but this XP won't accept anything, even a wireless adapter we got for it.

So, if anyone can explain in English and not tech how we can go about doing this, that would be greatly appreciated because we're at our wits end. We even tried connecting it the same way we connected it to the internet we had before this one, which was through the ethernet thing, but I just cant get it to register, show up, or connect.

Solution
open your browser type 192.168.1.1 and the router log on page should pop up.
bios is at boot you hit a key and it shows you the hardware settings of the motherboard.
in the bios under onboard devices is the ethernet chipset turned on?? is the cable he using a crossover or straitght through cable and is it plugged into the ethernet port on the router or the wan port?? it the port on the router and on the back of the pc blinking. (make sure there nothing broking in the port or a bent pin.) from your dad pc can he ping the router main control page (192.168.1.1) and log in?? make sure the network driver the newest is installed on his rig and the port turned on. (under network devices make sure the port has not been turned off. if the pc has a network card make sure it pushed in. some cards can walk from age.

idontknowhowtotech

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

not sure what you mean by or what is a bios, chipset, or wan or how to do this ping thing youve mentioned but ill take a look?

idontknowhowtotech

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Oh, i see now~! fixed it, thank you so much! It still doesn't let us connect it into the wan thing but after fixing it up it lets us connect the cable through the LAN spot now~