[SOLVED] Daily crash to black and fans turn on high

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonTD

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
Hello! I am reposting a question / problem I had from last month in the hopes that I can get some responses by including more information in my initial message.

I'm having a problem where my system crashes to a black screen, and all the fans (all case fans, CPU fan, and GPU fans) suddenly kick into high gear, blowing loud until I manually hit the reset on the case. Once I reset, the system reboots and runs normally. Occasionally it will crash again a little later, but it usually runs fine the rest of the day after that restart. This problem has been happening once or twice a day, and I've noticed it happens more often when I'm watching a video or playing a game, but it also happens when I'm not doing those things as well, most frequently right after I wake the computer from sleeping in the morning.

Strangely, this exact same problem happened with this system almost a year ago. I tried to troubleshoot the crashing for a couple of months last summer. It suddenly cleared up without my having done anything that I'm aware of to resolve it. I thought everything was fine, but now it's started back again. It's certainly frustrating, and I'd appreciate some direction in identifying what's causing the issue and resolving it. I have noticed a potential correlation between the problem happening again shortly after Windows updates and then getting better again for a while when there are no big updates.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my main system specs:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0
Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @3.40GHz
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF XM Case

According to CoreTemp, my cores right now are at the following temperatures:
0: 28ºC (max 39º)
1: 29ºC (max 41º)
2: 33ºC (max 45º)
3: 29ºC (max 41º)

According to GPUTemp, the GPU right now is at 39ºC

Thank you!

JasonTD

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
I never got a reply to this, but I wanted to update my own thread in case someone else has this same problem. It turned out that the issue was with my graphics card. The thermal paste on the GPU either had gone bad or wasn't applied properly to begin with. Either way, I opened up the card, cleaned off the old paste, applied a new dot, and put it all back together. Since then, I haven't had any crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.