Daily Deal: 25% off Dell UltraSharp 30'' and 27''

Status
Not open for further replies.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Meh. Still too expensive.
2650 x 1600 is becoming more mainstream, if they had 2560 X 1600 LCD panels for $500-$800 that would have trouble staying on shelves.

Maybe next year.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Personally my 23 inch screen that rests about 24 inches from my face is more than enough, but I can conceed the 'more is better' attitude to a point; though for the more budge concious anything more than $200 is a luxury we can do without.

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
@amstech I agree, I've been sitting on my 22" monitor for like 4 years now, waiting for an affordable upgrade. So far no luck, the prices just skyrocket after 24"s.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
I went from 2 17" CRTs to a single 28" LCD, and I swear... it is still too small! I would love to get something in the 30+ size, but they are soooo expensive. I took the color quality hit buying mine, but it is still fine for what I do most of the time, and when I need that color accurate precision on a project then I whip out the old 19" Mitsubishi CRT. May be old, but it's still pretty :)

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I had 3 17 inch CRT's that got upgraded to 3 Dell 2408WFP's and I have been looking at the 30 inch line of monitors but there are a few issues.

There was the Dell 2007,3008, then they skipped the 3009 and 3010, and now they have the 3011.

If I ever plan to spend MSP $1699 on a 30 inch monitor in Feb of 2011, then it needs to have really good Pixel level LED back lighting and be multi-touch like the retina display on the Iphone.

If it does not have those features in Feb of 2011, it is an over priced, over glorified 30 inch TV

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
jn77, you really need a multitouch 30" monitor for your desktop?

I hate thumb prints on my monitor, on anything but a tablet or a cell phone touch seems a gimmick to me.

Plus I'm sure it's going to bring the price up even more so don't hold out for too long.

G

I fricken love my dell 3007wfp-hc. 1600p baby! not just for games but for everything. Surprisingly quick to get used to. Just have IE @ 125% :)

G

This may sounds nuts to you guys but right now im using a 55' led/lcd 1080 as my monitor. i can never go back to a "conventional" monitor again. Great visuals, and clean and crisp at 1920x1080. However whats the hold up i'm willing to spend the cash to get a 50' inch screen with 2560x1600. anything coming soon? Sigh.. thanks for any thoughts or inputs.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]jn77, you really need a multitouch 30" monitor for your desktop?I hate thumb prints on my monitor, on anything but a tablet or a cell phone touch seems a gimmick to me.Plus I'm sure it's going to bring the price up even more so don't hold out for too long.[/citation]

Yes, 3 30inch 2560x1600 displays would be nice with multi touch. There are larger ones out there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohNzHWL7FI

Infact, why not take it a step further, 3 1080p 3D projectors with 2 hacked Kinect connected to a windows 7 pc to give a fully interactive gaming experience?

mike2100

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I'd like to pull the trigger on this deal. I've never had a high quality monitor, and never a big screen. But I'm worried that dell is trying to move stock to make room (in a marketing sense) for a shiny new 2011 model with LED back lighting.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I wouldn't pay 1.5k unless it was a 30" oled.
Color, static contrast ratio, viewing angles and clarity that blow any screen out the water with a response time that can theoretically reach below 0.01 ms with a refresh rate in the high hundreds? Yes please.

To bad they will cost 5 grand for pc's, a 30" oled consumer television will cost less even though it will be the exact same fu***** thing, since we can connect via hdmi anyways, but that's life...

Domina

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
You only rely on that speedy processor or powerful graphics card in your computer some of the time. You spend 100% of your computer time looking at your monitor. It's the single most important component - shouldn't you budget for it accordingly?

Picked up the U2711 a few months ago, upgrading from a 1080P screen. The pixel density and picture quality have to be seen to be believed. Worth every single penny.

morstern

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
JackNaylorPE already hit the point of this monitor. Here is just my take on it.

Lots of people mention gaming with this monitor. I am fairly certain that your fast gaming environment is going to look/play better on a much cheaper TN (normal) monitor. This is your entry level professional/serious hobby monitor for graphics/image use.

The price catches me because it is a nice monitor at that sale price. At its normal price... its still a good monitor, just that there are a lot of alternatives at the same price.

I am still on a normal monitor for web graphics/pages. I hate my color results and compensate by moving the image all over the monitor to try and see how it really looks in all the shades of color my monitor has depending on where the graphics is located. I also check my final graphics on a few other monitors to ensure it is at the "good enough level".

This is a crap control measure though. The last time I did some graphics for a company I got one complaint back about a color blend having a dark spot on one of the graphics. This graphics had no image/color problem on my monitor - as I checked the graphic on a few other monitors I could sometimes see (just as they did) that there was a burn spot on the image. Wanting corrections because it doesn't fit the end desire is fine. That is part of honing in the final product. Sending bad samples because of faulty/amateur production is just embarrassing and unprofessional. I will buy a new monitor this year... this one is a candidate.

Note on Games: I read players saying how great their games look on this... but you find those comments on almost all posts where someone just got there newer bigger monitor. The Gray to Gray times and input lag is worse on this monitor than a typical TN (normal). Which is why gamers might not like it as much but for someone working on graphics it doesn't really matter.

My Point: Make sure you get the monitor you really need.
Price examples:
Normal monitors (everyday use) 150-500
Graphics monitors (entry) 800-1400
Graphics monitors 1800-2500
Graphics monitors 8000-14,000
Graphics monitors (Industry finishing) 20-30k
Medical Monitor (For displaying gray scale) 2-5k

There are monitors across the price spectrum just listed the main bands I have encountered.

randomizer

Champion
This may sounds nuts to you guys but right now im using a 55' led/lcd 1080 as my monitor. i can never go back to a "conventional" monitor again. Great visuals, and clean and crisp at 1920x1080. However whats the hold up i'm willing to spend the cash to get a 50' inch screen with 2560x1600. anything coming soon? Sigh.. thanks for any thoughts or inputs.
1920x1080 on a 55" screen? How horrible! It should be triple that resolution.

Some points:
- No flatscreen MONITOR on the market has the CONTRAST of a CRT. I was quite shocked at how different the Colours and Black Levels looked for games and movies. (I can't wait for affordable OLED or similar which is the best of CRT/flatscreen combined).

- I do love the HUGE screen area of my U2711 for both Windows and games (especially Starcraft II).

- The U2711 anti-glare coating is a bit annoying. It's like having a coating of dust and it sometimes sparkles; the Apple 27" version is glossy with sharper text due to its different coating however it's far TOO GLOSSY with too many reflections. The Apple 27" (2560x1440) looks awesome in a DARK ROOM but terrible in a bright room.

- PC Games usually look best at 1920x1080, 4xAA on my 27" (2560x1440). The games look basically IDENTICAL at 2560x1440 but the FPS is too low even with a HD5870.

- 2560x1440 is 16:9. 2560x1600 is not. If in doubt, go with 16:9 which is the same as the HDTV aspect ratio. Some people prefer 2560x1600 for CAD or whatever.

- 30" seems too big for some. I find my 27" is the PERFECT SIZE for me. (although I thought it was HUGE when I first got it and now it seems "just right"; maybe it will be too small in the future?)

- *High resolution monitors need to be scaled properly (DPI) to look best.

*Scaling (DPI):

1. Set the monitor to its native (highest) resolution.
2. Set the DPI higher (example, 125%).
3. Change desktop ICON size to suit you.
4. Some GAMES and APPS require DPI Scaling be deactived (right-click the main EXE file-> "Properties"-> "Compatibility"-> "Disable display scaling..."

Status
Not open for further replies.