[SOLVED] daily (silent) crashes, started a week ago

Tritous

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
I've got a pc that I built 2 years ago. Solid, reliable, no issues, no hardware or software changes of note...that suddenly last week started crashing daily. No blue screens I see, I just go to see my PC afer being away for an hour and it's asking me to login, rather than being waiting. There were power cut issues a week and a bit ago and I'm wondering if that's a factor, but also since then I get random (about half an hour after logging in) notes that the app centre has stopped running - the suite of mobo utilities.

I've got crash dumps that show it's happening daily, between 11h and 14h even though the PC is on 24/7. there is no sign of it being stressed or otherwise struggling under loads - I'm stumped and hoping someone can help me explore what's happening (and how to fix it)

latest crash dump
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l2MOq1CXf5c2EIt3COzCQ7GSbLDplIoF/view?usp=sharing

the hardware
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tritous/builds/#view=xmbXsY

Solution
May well be a lead....

If you installed those apps then I recommend that you uninstall them. Especially if it appears that the crashes started at the time of app installations or shortly thereafter. (Perhaps some buggy update was installed.)

Determine if the system performance stabilizes.

It is also possible that a crash corrupted some files.

Try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to clean up corrupted Windows files.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

The built in Windows Troubleshooters may likewise find and fix something.

Also

Power down, unplug, open...

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (2 years ?), condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full.

Look in Reliability History and Event viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes

If the crashes tend to be between the 11th and 14th hours then check for errors that occur during that time frame.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and presents time line format that may prove revealing.

Tritous

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
More information needed:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age (2 years ?), condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full.

Look in Reliability History and Event viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes

If the crashes tend to be between the 11th and 14th hours then check for errors that occur during that time frame.

Reliability History is much more user friendly and presents time line format that may prove revealing.

Well the hardware is all in the link to the pc part picker but here it is again
CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard​
Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME EATX AM4 Motherboard​
Memory​
Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory​
Storage​
SYS: Gigabyte AORUS Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive​
DATA: Intel 660p 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive​
BACKUP: Western Digital Blue 3 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive​
Video Card​
PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Devil Video Card​
Power Supply​
Fractal Design Ion+ 860 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply​
Fans​
CPU: be quiet! Dark Rock TF 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler​
SYSx2: be quiet! Silent Wings 3 59.5 CFM 140 mm Fan​
case​
be quiet! Silent Base 801 ATX Mid Tower Case​

I don't overclock, stress tests when built didn't really get the CPU past 60C or any of the mobo sensors past 42C. It was all new at the end 2019 and has had no issues until now.
Data and backup disks are around 2/3 full, system drive just over half full.

I did check the event log and found no real correlation with anything other than the usual reports that the system had an unexpected shutdown (yes, I noticed...)
I did notice, however there are a few errors of note:
  1. Event 28 "Error setting traits on Provider {8444a4fb-d8d3-4f38-84f8-89960a1ef12f}. Error: 0xC0000001" is a new error that started 2 days before these crashes happened
  2. Event 1000: Faulting application name: cpumetricsserver.exe, version: 10.1.2.1884, / Faulting module name: cpumetricsserver.exe / Exception code: 0xc0000409: generally after I login since mid Feb
  3. Event 1000: Faulting application name: ApCent.exe, version: 1.0.0.0 / Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1526 / Exception code: 0xe0434352 : also after I login but with a delay, but only in the last 5 days or so - not as long as the crahes
  4. Event 1026: .net: System.OutOfMemoryException for Apcent.exe around the time it fails

maybe this is a lead?

Ralston18

Titan
May well be a lead....

If you installed those apps then I recommend that you uninstall them. Especially if it appears that the crashes started at the time of app installations or shortly thereafter. (Perhaps some buggy update was installed.)

Determine if the system performance stabilizes.

It is also possible that a crash corrupted some files.

Try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to clean up corrupted Windows files.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

The built in Windows Troubleshooters may likewise find and fix something.

Also

Power down, unplug, open case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated.

Inspect motherboard and all components for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melting, browned or blackened in color, pinched or kinked wires. Loose or missing screws.

Could simply be a loose connection of some sort.

And, as you always should be doing, be sure to backup all important data at least 2 x to locations off of your pc. Verify that the backups are both recoverable and readable.

Solution