Question Daisy chain gigabyte geforce rtx 3080 10gb gaming oc?

Sep 22, 2022
Well I got a new graphics card but I don't have the proper pcie cables yet as I'm waiting for them to ship (it will probably take like maximum 2 weeks to get here).

My question is if it's dangerous for me to use 6+2 with a daisy 6+2 to power the graphics card? Just until I get my new cable.

The psu is a Corsair RM850x Gold.

Thank you for answers.

jasonf2

Distinguished
If you are suggesting that you are going to just plug them both in on the same cable with two sets of plugs this is a bad idea. While you could potentially burn something the most likely is too much amperage on the conductors causing low voltage to the card, which would be bad. I would just wait.

Sep 22, 2022
If you are suggesting that you are going to just plug them both in on the same cable with two sets of plugs this is a bad idea. While you could potentially burn something the most likely is too much amperage on the conductors causing low voltage to the card, which would be bad. I would just wait.

Alright thanks for your reply

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well I got a new graphics card but I don't have the proper pcie cables yet as I'm waiting for them to ship (it will probably take like maximum 2 weeks to get here).

My question is if it's dangerous for me to use 6+2 with a daisy 6+2 to power the graphics card? Just until I get my new cable.

The psu is a Corsair RM850x Gold.

Thank you for answers.
Most power supplies list a max watt draw on a single PCI-E cable.
This goes off of the wire gauge and length.

My seasonic said 250 watts, the RMx manual has nothing listed.

I would not do that since that card draws 350 watts and can have large spikes.

Sep 22, 2022

If i potentially had the gpu on a few hours with the single cable and 2 8 pin plugs, would that be catastrophic? :sweatsmile:
Tested a game or two

Alright I have taken the card out, how big is the chance I've broken something while i tested it a bit?, it didn't crash or act abnormally for the few hours I had it on
You are fine. I did exactly this while testing a sound card that required it’s own pcie power cable. I would not recommend anyone do this but I can say I got away with it for a few hours. I also have a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC 10gb. I did periodically feel the cable to see if it got warm but I couldn’t feel any heat.

Sep 22, 2022
You are fine. I did exactly this while testing a sound card that required it’s own pcie power cable. I would not recommend anyone do this but I can say I got away with it for a few hours. I also have a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC 10gb. I did periodically feel the cable to see if it got warm but I couldn’t feel any heat.
Alright thank you now I feel safer that I didn't cause any damage :)

jasonf2

Distinguished
You probably didn't hurt anything if smoke didn't roll out, bsod or reboot loop didn't happen. But any of those things are possible and the risk isn't worth the reward. Under no circumstances do you want to benchmark, game or continue running the machine. GPUs are variable in power consumption and while you may have gotten away with booting it up, a benchmark could burn the card, psu, motherboard or all of the above. Undervolting due to excessive load is not the same as firmware limiting. It causes excessive amperage on components and when I mentioned smoke rolling out I am not kidding. It is a foul smelling yellow typically and if you see it be prepared to replace parts.

jasonf2

Distinguished
At the voltage and wattage levels computers run the ability to physically heat up the wire is pretty limited. The issue is the acceptable voltage sag being exceeded. Typically that number is ~3-5% or less so you only have around .5 volts to play with. If you run your ohms law calculator with the conductors on your psu you are going to figure out you don't have much wattage to play with even though heat isn't building up on the conductor. While the wires are not going to burn I cannot say the same for unfused solid state parts and tiny board traces.

Sep 22, 2022
You probably didn't hurt anything if smoke didn't roll out, bsod or reboot loop didn't happen. But any of those things are possible and the risk isn't worth the reward. Under no circumstances do you want to benchmark, game or continue running the machine. GPUs are variable in power consumption and while you may have gotten away with booting it up, a benchmark could burn the card, psu, motherboard or all of the above. Undervolting due to excessive load is not the same as firmware limiting. It causes excessive amperage on components and when I mentioned smoke rolling out I am not kidding. It is a foul smelling yellow typically and if you see it be prepared to replace parts.
Alright only time will tell when I get the second pcie cable then I guess but yeah no smoke or bsod or anything out of the ordinary so that's a good sign then i suppose! Was a little worried because I did play a few games before I removed it.