Daisy Chaining and wirless access as well as Lan ports.

glenndee

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Hope all will forgive if the answer seems natural. Here goes.
I have home in another country with very thick walls..greater than 2 feet of concrete. I need to get wirless access as well has hard wire access to each room. The plan invloves 5 linksys wirless N routers. I plan on installing the main router E4200 in a central location. I have already ran 2" conduit to all my locations from the central router ( E4200 ).

1. I will run Cat 6A from the E4200 to E3000 lan port in Bedroom1.

2. Then from E4200 to E3000 in Bedroom 2.

3. E4200 to E2500 lan port in bedroom 3

4. E4200 to E2500 lan port inLiving Room

5. Finally E4200 to Trendnet Gigbit switch to Trennet Outdoor Wifi AP.

Am I correct I change the IP address of each slave router ? The default for all the Linksys is 192.168.1.1 I could change each of the 4 slaves to 192.168.2.1, 192.168.3.1, and so on ?

Also since i want wirless access in each location should I leave DCHP server enabled so I can access via the switch ? Or disable the DHCP server on each slave and the main ( E4200) will handle the adressing ? I really would like WIFI and the switch both to able to access the internet in case WIFI fails in the area.

Thanks I appreciate the help !

Glenndee

Solution
No, you would change the ips like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, .3, .4, etc. only change the last digit.

Disable DHCP on all the other routers but the main and let them all get the IP's from the main router, leave DHCP on that one. Note, once you set a static ip and disable dhcp you won't be able to connect to the router again until it's wired into the main router and gets an ip.

set each router with it's own wireless name, spread the channels, etc.

my home is setup sort of the same way, have 3 routers to give wifi to different parts of the house and they are linked to the main router for ip's, internet access, etc. this also lets them all be o nteh same network for file sharing, etc.
No, you would change the ips like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, .3, .4, etc. only change the last digit.

Disable DHCP on all the other routers but the main and let them all get the IP's from the main router, leave DHCP on that one. Note, once you set a static ip and disable dhcp you won't be able to connect to the router again until it's wired into the main router and gets an ip.

my home is setup sort of the same way, have 3 routers to give wifi to different parts of the house and they are linked to the main router for ip's, internet access, etc. this also lets them all be o nteh same network for file sharing, etc.

Solution

glenndee

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Thank You !
[

quotemsg=12758688,0,69500]No, you would change the ips like 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, .3, .4, etc. only change the last digit.

my home is setup sort of the same way, have 3 routers to give wifi to different parts of the house and they are linked to the main router for ip's, internet access, etc. this also lets them all be o nteh same network for file sharing, etc.[/quotemsg]

As mentioned above you would assign each router a IP in the same subnet to talk to the e4200.

You now have 2 options.

You run them as routers which means each device will give out IP to all the connected machines. For example router 2 would have a wan ip of 192.168.1.2 and then give out ip via dhcp to the clients as 192.168.2.x (as a example) router 3 would have wan ip 192.168.1.3 and use 192.168.3.x. This tends to isolate these networks which may be a good or bad thing depending on what you are doing.

You run them as a AP. In this case you cable to the LAN port. disable the DHCP. but still assigne the 192.168.1.x addresses the same way except assign the IP to the lan port. These IP are now only used to administer the device the end users do not use that ip for anything. You now have one large network with the main router handing out 192.168.1.x addresses to all the users in all the locations.

In either design you can choose different or the same SSID and passwords. You want to avoid interference by using different channels but if your walls block the signal it may not matter.

I generally prefer the all AP design it lets the machine talk and makes it easier to problems like port forwarding or UPnP for game consoles to work properly.

glenndee

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Thank ya'll again...I think The AP solution is best for me. So to be clear Turn off the DHCP server and set that WAN to static ( instead of DHCP ) or does it matter since nothing will be plugged in to the WAN port ? Then set the IP address to 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3,192.168.1.4 and so on.

glenndee

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I understand..I was asking if it meant anything to change the setting from DHCP to static on the WAN since nothing is plugged into the WAN port. Just leave the Empty WAN set at DHCP...correct ? ...The router has DD-WRT firmware.