Daisy chaining switch to a wireless router

gr391ndra

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I work in a small company and been forced to daisy chain several switches and wireless routers.
The existing network is: ISP – ROUTER – SWITCH – SWITCH
I was forced to daisy chain another wireless router after the last switch, because we run out of ports and the wireless router is the only device we have left. My question is, how should I configure the wireless router?
I have disabled the DHCP. I have configured the LAN IP address in the same network. I have configured the WAN with a static IP. The WAN IP address is the public IP from the ISP. But I don’t know how to configure the WAN gateway, WAN subnet mask, and the WAN DNS, as I don’t have the access to the main router. I am just guessing the WAN subnet mask, gateway, and DNS from doing a trace route to any IP address and see which IP that the route goes to.
With the setting I described above, I couldn’t get through the internet.
Any idea what should I do? Is there any other setting that I should do? Should I configure the WAN addresses dynamically instead of static?

sturm

Splendid
On the last router plug the cable from the switch into a normal port on the router. This will make it work like a switch/AP. The WAN port will be unused. Leave dhcp off as the first router will take care of this.

gr391ndra

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010

I did plug the cable to the LAN port and left the WAN port unused, I also put the DHCP off, but still doesn't work. Is it has to do with the IP settings?

I put the LAN IP as the same network with the company private address. Then, I statically configure the WAN IP with the public address from the ISP. But, I do not know the configuration of the WAN subnet mask, WAN gateway, and WAN subnet mask, so I just guessing from a trace route to any ip. Should I leave this WAN configuration into dynamic instead? Because I tried both configuration and the wireless router said that the IP "unreachable".

Do you know why?

TRENDING THREADS