damage bonus, blows

I'm working on a variant based on V.

As much as possibly I want to keep things both intuitive and measurable. Players
shouldn't have to calculate weapon damage, but should be able to do it easily
enough if they want to.

Ok, I want to make damage dice important again, so strong warriors and paladins
will prefer heavy weapons to light ones.

Changing damage bonuses to give +10% damage instead of +1 damage should do
that.

I also want rogues and mages to prefer light weapons.

For that I would make strength less of a factor in calculating blows. Mages
could get 2 blows with a dagger, some rogues maybe as many as 4.

I expect the artifact list will need rebalancing, and I'm probably breaking
plenty of other things I'm not thinking of.

Comments?

gamedruid <gamedruid@gamedruid.com> writes:

> Comments?

You are reinventing the wheel. This has been done - and seen years of
refinement - in Oangband, Sangband, and Zangband. Start from there
and tweak to your taste; for example you can turn damage bonuses into
a fixed percentage as you describe, change the way brands are handled,
etc.

--
Bahman Rabii

gamedruid wrote:

> I'm working on a variant based on V.
>
> As much as possibly I want to keep things both intuitive and measurable.
> Players shouldn't have to calculate weapon damage, but should be able to
> do it easily enough if they want to.
>

> Ok, I want to make damage dice important again, so strong warriors and
> paladins will prefer heavy weapons to light ones.
>
> Changing damage bonuses to give +10% damage instead of +1 damage should do
> that.
>
> I also want rogues and mages to prefer light weapons.
>
> For that I would make strength less of a factor in calculating blows.
> Mages could get 2 blows with a dagger, some rogues maybe as many as 4.
>
> I expect the artifact list will need rebalancing, and I'm probably
> breaking plenty of other things I'm not thinking of.
>
> Comments?

Isn't that exactly what the OAngband combat style did ?

For some reason the replies aren't showing up on oook... anyway.

Bahman Rabii (bahman@oangband.com) writes:

> You are reinventing the wheel. This has been done - and seen years of
> refinement - in Oangband, Sangband, and Zangband. Start from there
> and tweak to your taste; for example you can turn damage bonuses into
> a fixed percentage as you describe, change the way brands are handled,
> etc.

Too many obscure race/class bonuses and criticals.

Even V's criticals aren't as straightforward as I'd like.

I can think of a few things I'd do with S, but that's another project.

Christophe Cavalaria (chris.cavalaria@free.fr) writes:

> Isn't that exactly what the OAngband combat style did ?

With enough twists and turns, yes. I want to make it simple.